Do I need an iPad 3?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by mark28, Sep 28, 2011.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

If it's mainly for reading pdf's / arcticles?

2. aarond12 macrumors 65816

aarond12

If that's all you need it for, get a used iPad 1 for cheap. The iPad 3 supposedly has a "retina display", which will allow for clearer text, but the regular iPad and iPad 2 have nice sharp displays already.

3. DeaconGTG macrumors member

No one knows what the iPad 3 is for because it hasn't been announced yet!

If you're talking about an iPad 2, it's for much more than reading articles and/or pdfs. But no one can really say if you need it unless they know what you might want to do.

My advice would be to go to an Apple store or another store that sells the iPad and see if you can try one out. If you don't live close to anyplace that has a model, try to bum one off a friend for a little while.

4. vitzr macrumors 68030

vitzr

No you certainly do not.

But that doesn't mean that you wouldn't enjoy one a whole lot.

Mines my casual web surfing device. I really enjoy it.

(Flash Blocked Content Excluded)

5. thunderbunny macrumors 6502a

thunderbunny

6. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

Question: "Do I need something that doesn't exist, and know nothing of how and when it will exist?"
    Answer: "Probably not."

7. cytomatrix macrumors member

No, you need iPad 4 for that. iPad 3's pdf engine is horrible and its very slow.

8. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

9. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

PDFs and articles? You need an e-reader. I like the Nook Color. PDFs look great, and with a little hack you can put any android doc reader on board too. $249 today, but it may be $199 any day now that Amazon has announced their $199 Kindle Fire with essentially the same specs but a thicker hunk of tablet than the gracefully designed Nook Color.

10. woodekm macrumors 65816

woodekm

11. matt90036 macrumors regular

i'd recommend iPad2 because it is faster for rendering large PDFs. but if your articles are only 10-20 pages then iPad1 will suffice.

12. iWangKe macrumors newbie

iWangKe

I agree with that. And you'll wait for too long for iPad 3.

13. brendu macrumors 68020

NOPE. You sure don't.

14. mark28 thread starter macrumors 68000

Does the Retina display on the iPad 3 will make a big difference you think?

----------

You haven't heard about the rumors that the iPad 3 will have a retina display?

15. TM WAZZA macrumors 68000

Yes. It will make a big difference.

16. Clockw0rk macrumors newbie

Funny how few months so many ppl were 101% sure that ipad3 is coming later this year. No one mentions this no more.

17. jaytv111 macrumors regular

Actually he's wrong, you really need the iPad 5. It'll broadcast PDF files straight to your brain implant.

18. MathiasVH macrumors regular

I just sold my iPad because the resolution is simply too low. It's quite funny though, that if I hadn't owned an iPhone 4 and know the eye-pleasing-effect of the retina display, I'd probably be more satisfied with the iPads' displays. BUT: When they launch the iPad 3, it will redefine its category (yeah, Apple-talk, I know..). An iPad with retina display. Wow.

19. mstout macrumors member

As others have said, iPad 3 doesn't exist. However, as an owner of iPad 1, I would say that you should get the 2 for one reason only: I love my iPad, but it's heavy. Heavier than I would like. It's very well made, but after a while my hand gets tired holding it when I'm reading books. The 2 isn't feather light, but it feels much lighter to me. So, if it's just occasional use, get the 1. If you're going to be reading for prolonged periods of time, 2. Or wait and the 3 will probably be better, clearer, lighter. Good luck.

20. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

Most people are sensible enough not to try and hold a hardcover in one hand, but rather use both, or think to prop it on something--the arm of the chair, edge of the desk, their lap. Why people think tablets should be treated differently puzzles the hell out of me, and has since the iPad first came out.

If you need the additional functionality, absolutely, get an iPad 2. Otherwise, iPad 1 + a $30 WedgePad = problem solved for a net savings of at least $200 nowadays. (Or use any of a number of cushions or stands on the market currently. Or a handy lap cat.) I read quite comfortably for hours at a time on an iPad 1 this way.

Like MathiasVH though, I'm looking forward to the improved resolution that's *hopefully* being included in the next model...or whenever it might arrive. The iPhone 4 does make the iPad screens look like garbage by comparison.

21. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

True, but the iPad 4 has a more narrow screen ratio. It's much easier to read on the the iPad 3 in landscape or portrait. I find the 4:3 preferable.

22. epiciphonehack macrumors member

So wait iPad 2 doesn't have retina?

23. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

There was no change in resolution between the iPad 1 and iPad 2. That's why a lot of people, myself included, felt it wasn't a big enough upgrade to make the switch.

24. TheWheelMan macrumors 6502a

TheWheelMan

I thought I heard that the iPad 5 is a brain implant?