Do I need an iPad Pro or an MacBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by CatherineVeraGat, May 6, 2017.

1. CatherineVeraGat Suspended

I'm thinking of getting an iPad Pro or an MacBook. If I buy an iPad Pro it will have 256GB of storage, and I will buy the Apple Keyboard and Apple Pencil. For the MacBook, 256GB of storage and 8GB of memory is a must. If it supports the Apple Pencil then I will buy the. Apple Pencil. For my device I will be using Photoshop, Illustrations, Word, photo design apps that I can make 3D renderings of devices. So what do you guys think, Will I be better off with an iPad Pro or an MacBook?

(MacBooks that I would buy is the 12 inch MacBook, or the MacBook Pro without Touch Bar 13.3 in version)

2. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

MacBook Pro,with a Wacom device for photo editing,works with both Photoshop and pixelmator. With the Wacom plate,you also get a suitable pencil.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Are the iOS apps just as powerful and feature rich as the OS X versions? I know Word is not, and I think PS has less features as well.

Personally, I'd say a MBP is a better option but I may be biased

4. Young Turk macrumors 6502

5. Fishrrman macrumors G4

One more vote for the MacBook.

iOS gives you no workable finder or file system, things you get as a matter of course with a MacBook and the Mac OS. Can you live without such things?

6. TheTruth101 macrumors regular

iPads are useless. They are for kids. If you want productivity get a computer.

7. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Not necessarily true. For the OP's situation, I would go with the MacBook Pro option, but for many, the iPad is a viable alternative... and substantially more that just a "toy for kids".

8. RootBeerMan macrumors 6502

RootBeerMan

Another vote for the Macbook, here. It will serve your needs better than the iPad, even if it will cost more. It's much more robust for the apps you want to use.

9. Lawzen macrumors member

Lawzen

I think the majority of people here will side with the MacBook for what you want to do ;)
    Out of all the years I've used computers, a Mac has never disappointed. If you get a Mac, there might even be some features you figure along the way that can further your capabilities.

10. smallcoffee macrumors 6502a

11. ApfelKuchen macrumors 68030

It's all about the software. If there aren't iOS apps capable of doing what you plan to do, then Mac it is.

I'm really tired of "(iOS doesn't have) a workable finder or file system." It certainly does, as long as you're using cloud-based storage - iCloud Drive, DropBox, etc. IMO, anyone with a portable device who is not constantly syncing/backing up to the cloud in this day and age is just asking for misery at some point down the road.

If you'll still have a desktop computer in addition to the portable, then you may find iPad Pro to be enough to satisfy your portable needs - not everyone needs 100% of their desktop capabilities when they're away from the desktop, and the extra portability and ease of use may mean you carry (and use) the iPad more (and in different ways) than you would have used the MacBook. However, if it will be your only computer-like device, it may not be enough.

12. appleofmyibook macrumors newbie

appleofmyibook

The iPad isn't as bad as everyone's making out to be. I think for productivity the MacBook is probably the better option as it's not as 'limited', but in saying that, I also think Apple does an incredible job with Adobe support and especially the Pencil on the Pro. I have both and I tend to use the iPad more with the creative suite of products than the MacBook. That said, with the iPad I would only recommend the 12.9 - cops soooo much from people but really is a magnificent device.

13. CatherineVeraGat thread starter Suspended

I'm leaning towards getting a MacBook Pro because an iPad doesn't have all the features that is found on apps that we can get on the MacBook Pro. And the iPad has an 'limited' operating system that doesn't meet the needs for most people. An iPad is just an "bigger iPhone". No wonder why iPad sales are going down. Thank you for all for answering my question.

14. merkinmuffley macrumors 6502a

You need a Macbook pro, don't even consider an IPad for that mix of apps you mentioned. I went down that path, it's a waste of time and money.

15. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

To be honest if you want to be able to draw on it then you may be better off going with a surface book that has a touchscreen that detaches for work with a stylus. If not its a Wacom or an iPad pro to add that feature to your macbook pro and the money starts stacking up. Not my way to advocate a surface I am not keen myself but it seems to be the device that fits your particular niche best.

16. MaraviRasmussen macrumors newbie

MaraviRasmussen

Hi, first it´s really important to consider what you need it for, then it´d be easier to give you a much precise suggestion , do remember that the  pencil is only compatible with the iPad Pro , you can find software simulating this experience on the trackpad but it´s not something I´d personally recommend, the iPad Pro makes a valid point if for some reason your job won't allow you to carry a mobile phone while on working hours, so you can receive news and feedback easily on the go , now on about the macbook , it´s much better as a general purpose device and will have available software you may be interested on most of the times