Do I need an iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by belyzel4, Apr 13, 2011.

1. belyzel4, Apr 13, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

belyzel4 macrumors newbie

I am so sorry for asking a question that has probably been beaten to death, but I keep getting iPad 1 -> iPad 2 upgrade comparisons when I try to search why I would want one. I think my question may be quite general, but really I am wondering how the iPad 2 has potential to make my life better/easier and why. I'll give some specific questions though to make it easier to answer.

1) What kinds of specific things do you do on your iPad that are very convenient specifically because they are done on an iPad? (Productivity)
    2) What kinds of apps do you use on a daily basis? (looking for ideas)
    3) Is it really only for consumption? or can you actually be productive with a keyboard for things such as note-taking or research?
    4) Since 2010, I have slowly been converting to Apple (2010 MBP 13', iPhone 4, 2011 MBP 15')... will I be able to fit this device for daily usage? (MBP 15' is my desktop replacement / iPhone 4 is always with me / MBP 13' is my take to classes and library computer)
    5) I really want to start getting into digital reading, but I am so concerned about eye strain and fatigue. I will obviously read on low brightness, but does anyone know much about this?
    6) Any buyer's remorse/regret stories and/or turn arounds?

Thanks!

EDIT: Should probably mention this stuff: I am a neuroscience college undergraduate that is planning for medical school. I love watching movies (netflix), I enjoy my music, I want to be as productive and efficient in other aspects of life by using the iPad, and I guess besides my personal hobbies I am just open to many other things.

2. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Honestly I hate the question you asked, BUT I haven't answered it in a while lol so here's my take.

I had the original iPad and the experience is AMAZING. I used it for web browsing, email reading/responding, note taking, Twitter, Facebook, book reading etc.

The fluidity of the interface, the speed and the ease of use make it so fun and easy to use. You can also be productive. And since you're gonna be in the medical field there are MANY apps that have to do with medical related things. It's great for consumption and production.

The screen size is almost comparable to the 11inch MBA and a lot bigger than the iPhone so it is the perfect size. The readability is fine for me, although I have heard of eye strain over a prolonged time.

I didn't have any regrets with mine and I can't wait to get the iPad 2. Really an amazing device and gets better with every software update and app download.

3. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

I'm still playing around with the iPad 2 and I honestly can't make heads or tails of what I'm supposed to do with it that I shouldn't or can't be doing on an iPhone or my Mac.

For now I watch Netflix in bed, play a few games, and browse the web when I don't want to bother using my Mac. I tried to use a law database app for school, and while it was ok, it certainly isn't as useful as I thought (I'll have to use the full browser version whenever I need to do writing in tandem with research).

At this point the iPad is a more portable gaming device and video player. I'm not sure if it's worth the price. :/

4. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I love my iPad 2 and really enjoy it, but I wouldn't consider it a device that I really NEED. I have an iPhone 4 and a MacBook Pro 13", and it fits pretty well in between, I think. I take the iPad to class to take notes, but I've found the on-screen keyboard to be quite annoying; I'm constantly hitting wrong keys and then trying to press backspace to fix the mistakes but then accidentally hitting the return key several times. So note taking is definitely easier on a real keyboard, but I still take notes on my iPad because it's just fun to use.

Reading is a much better experience on the iPad. Before, I had to read PDFs and such on my MacBook, but now I can load them up on the iPad and write notes and highlight things with a stylus. I also like that I don't have to print them out and can just have them on my iPad in class.

Web browsing is fun on the iPad, and I really like using many of the apps that aggregate information, but I still use my MacBook if I need to multitask or browse the web more efficiently because webpages load faster and you can have several open side-by-side. I also almost primarily watch videos on my MacBook, because websites such as Hulu or Network television websites require flash, and I watch a lot of videos through those sites. Also, YouTube videos load much quicker on my computer.

So while I really love my iPad, I don't consider it something that I need, and I don't think I would have been able to justify having it if I didn't have the disposable income.

5. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Personally, I would have loved to have had an iPad back when I was in college. I can imagine dozens of way it would have made school easier. I think it would be perfect for taking research notes in the library, and if the books you need for class are avaiable in ebook format, it's extremely convenient to be able to have them all with you at all times. That said, individual experience with the iPad vary widely. Especially with things like eye fatigue or typing with the on screen keyboard, you never can tell how it'll work out for you unless you try it yourself. Since Apple has a 14-day return period with no restocking fee, the best thing to do is to get one and see how it works for you.

6. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

The problem right now with using the iPad as an eBook reader for class textbooks is that many textbooks are still difficult to find in ebook format. Even when looking for novels, I've had to check the iBook store, Kindle store, Nook store, and there are even other apps such as Course Smart eTextbooks if you're looking for books there.

Another problem that I've found is that ebooks are expensive. I have yet to actually purchase an ebook, but I've looked for some of the books I needed for school in the various stores, and the prices for the digital copy are usually the full price of a book. This sucks, because you're not even getting a physical product that has to be produced from raw materials and shipped to you, so you'd assume that it would be cheaper, but that's not the case. And since it's a digital copy, you can't even sell it back, so you can't even make some of your money back.

7. eye macrumors 6502a

eye

I just own an iPad because it's cool, which is the only reason you should bother owning most anything.

8. jvmxtra macrumors 65816

jvmxtra

I bought ipad 2 and my wife loves it. Now her mb just sits in the corner and never being used it again.

Which means she uses it for everything.
    It never leaves her side.

Ebook,games,watching movies,browsing,email... you name it and you can possibly do it w/ ipad 2. It's the convenience which it brings and it does it fairly well.

Being able to access everything in one very portable format with nice screen to look and very responsive touch UI. Trust me, it will grow on you.

Where is Steve Jobs when he should be sending me the checks... :D

9. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

Most people who don't have one, tell you don't get one

Most people who have one, tell you get it only if you need it

Do you need one? Have you stopped at your local Best Buy or Apple Store and played with it several times? Do you see it being productive? Efficient? Useful? in you life?
    :)

10. yodaxl7 macrumors 6502a

I am in a medical field, too. It has great medical apps that are useful with your studies. There are also planners to assist in organizing your days. Plus, some schools have pdf handouts. Reading on the iPad is just like reading your laptop. There are a few textbook apps, too. Plus, there are notetaking apps as well. You could also use ZAGG/logic tech keyboard case for the iWorks apps. Or you just get any wireless keyboard. Tapping is not bad either.

There are so many many many many things you can do with the iPad. It is a canvas!! You can paint whatever you want to do with it. Definitely, it will keep you entertained: games, netflix, abc player, vydia player, ibooks, kindle, etc. It is great for artists: lots of drawing tools,etc. Great for teaching.

Best way to know, try it at a store.

For me, it is simply awesome! I used it every day. I rarely use my laptop. I watch more shows on it then I do the TV. It is great for podcasts,too.

I do all my browsing on it. I do all of my billings with it. The device is next to you on the couch while watching tv. It is easier to pick up the iPad then your laptop. iMovie is meant for the iPad. It is easier to use on it, then the laptop or desktop. Certain games are easier on the iPad like Plant versus Zombies. Musical instruments are easier on the iPad than on regular computers. If you become proficient on the iPad, just about anything is much easier and smoother.

Absolutely, the best device ever purchased for me!

11. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

12. HasanDaddy macrumors 6502a

I read the Wall Street Journal and LA Times every morning on my iPad - I love it for that reason most

13. BlindMellon macrumors 65816

BlindMellon

the reasons i'm planning on getting one:

• watching movies while i'm on the treadmill
    • garage band
    • anything's better than browsing on the iphone
    • great for photo galleries
    • wife can use the many recipe apps as well as browsing
    • carrying my music collection

14. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

With the Apple devices you already own, anyway you twist your way of thinking or your lifestyle, you definitely do NOT need an iPad. No ifs, ands, or buts.

How, you still may want one and if you do, then go for it! It's a really fun device and is a joy to use.

That said, I don't know if I'm quite sold yet on the idea of a touch screen as the way of the future though. Even after using my iPad 2 for over a month, a mouse or trackpad seems a little easier to use. You don't have to move your hand and arm around as much with these two methods. With a touchscreen, you need to be moving your whole arm around all the time. Sure, I guess I'm lazy.

15. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

16. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

Oh I don't know. Kids with learning disorders benefit a lot from the iPad's UI. There are other useful commercial applications.

It's probably true that most average consumers don't need one though.

17. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No you don't because you felt the need to ask.

18. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

If you`re into reading then Calibre is an essential app to have on your Mac.
    You can easily put any ebooks etc straight onto the iPad, no messing around.

19. Entame macrumors newbie

Do you need an ipad, in short, no. It's a luxury product for sure. It is also one of my favorite products, I love the thing.

1) What kinds of specific things do you do on your iPad that are very convenient specifically because they are done on an iPad? (Productivity)
    I don't know about convenient specifically because they are on ipad, but it is extremely convenient for social networking, and news consumption. I read a lot of online news, a lot of RSS feeds, etc. The ipad works very well for these tasks. I also read a lot of journals and papers on the device (i'm a graduate student). The convenience of having all of those things readily available is huge. You can accomplish the same thing with a laptop, but i prefer the ipad experience.

2) What kinds of apps do you use on a daily basis? (looking for ideas)
    Reeder for RSS, Flipboard, Twitter, a bunch of news apps (CBC, BBC, CNN, Globe and Mail, etc). Drop box (I have like 700 papers synced there), some games (i'm a words with friends addict), email, netflix. I'd say my biggest uses are News, social networking (facebook, twitter, linkedin, etc) and browsing.

3) Is it really only for consumption? or can you actually be productive with a keyboard for things such as note-taking or research?
    It's fine for reading journal articles. It's ok for jotting down ideas, to-do lists, etc. I wouldn't want to do serious note taking or writing on it.

5) I really want to start getting into digital reading, but I am so concerned about eye strain and fatigue. I will obviously read on low brightness, but does anyone know much about this?
    It is good for reading (like i said, i do mostly academic reading on it). I really prefer my kindle for reading, but the ipad gets the job done. I find the ipad a lot better then reading on a computer screen/laptop (i can't really explain why), but i still experience eye strain and fatigue.

6) Any buyer's remorse/regret stories and/or turn arounds?
    None. I love the device. The honeymoon phase has passed, but i use my ipad 2 multiple times a day and I love it. It is a great device. It's probably the least buyers remorse i've ever felt over a big tech purchase.

20. kas23 macrumors 603

kas23

That's really cool. I have had Calibre for a very long time and I knew you could transfer books into ebook readers, but I never knew you could transfer stuff right into the iPad. Into what App does Calibre transfer the ebooks into?

21. Fubar1977 macrumors 6502a

Fubar1977

It just syncs them straight into iBooks for me,auto converting in the process.
    They just show up on my bookshelf.
    No different to my Sony e reader it even has iPad specific settings.
    Best thing is, no direct use of iTunes ;)

22. GraphicsGeek macrumors 6502a

Im not sure where the iPad fits into your situation. It seems kind of pointless if you have both a 13" and 15" MBP and then get an iPad. 1 of 2 things will more than likely happen: You'll use your iPad so much that you wont use one or both of the MBPs or vice versa. I had a MBP that I had as a desktop replacement before I got an iPad. Once I started taking my iPad everywhere with me, having a laptop seemed pointless. So I sold it and got an iMac. The combination of an iMac and iPad is perfect for me. Im a graphic designer so I need a workhorse computer and when I travel, I dont need a workhorse so the iPad is my perfect travel/couch companion.

Yes, the iPad can be used for creation as well. The keyboard will take some time to get used to but once you do get used to it, you'll fly. If I had this back in college, it would have been with me in every class.

23. iCrizzo macrumors regular

iCrizzo

24. Chiisu macrumors member

Chiisu

Ultimately, only you can decide...

You get much of the functionality of a notebook computer with incredible ease of use. I initially would have thought of my iPad as an indulgence, but it really has proven to improve my productivity, it's a necessity.

25. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

they benefit... they dont NEED it.