Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

edsel12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Or is there a jailbroken app that acts like it at all? Trying to see if its worth spending the extra money for it or not.

Thanks!

mphayvanh

macrumors member
Aug 16, 2010
What are you asking?

Or is there a jailbroken app that acts like it at all? Trying to see if its worth spending the extra money for it or not.

Thanks!

There's no jailbreak app that will put LTE carrier capabilities into a wifi only iPad. Buying an LTE model will give you the same capabilities as a wifi model with the option to connect with a cellular data service with a mobile carrier like ATT or Verizon in the US.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Need? That's up to you and how the reception is in your area. With the multitude of free wifi everywhere, you probably wouldn't need a LTE model. If live out in the sticks, then you might need LTE but LTE might not even be available in your area. Plus, with LTE, you'll chew through your data plan pretty quickly unless all you do is email/surf the web. LTE is nice to have for me but since I have wifi pretty much every where I go, I rarely use it.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010

Thanks!

Sounds to me that you are under the impression that the hardware inside a Wifi only iPad 3 and an LTE iPad 3 are the same. And all you need to do to turn on LTE capabilities in a WiFi only iPad 3 is some sort of software hack?

Is that what you are trying to do? Confused...

Dav1

macrumors 6502
Mar 14, 2011

Thanks!

It is impossible to give you a meaningful answer with the little bit of information you provide. It would be like me asking do I need a wrench? Without knowing more about what I intend to do, the only logical answer is no.

Is GPS important to you? If so you might want the LTE version. Post what you hope to do by having LTE, and you'll get a more meaningful response in my opinion.

edsel12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Thanks all for the responses and sorry for the vague question to start. I have it it my mind what I want to ask but can't seem to form it into a question lol.

pat park

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2011
California
Thanks all for the responses and sorry for the vague question to start. I have it it my mind what I want to ask but can't seem to form it into a question lol.

LTE must be built into the iPad you purchase. You cannot add it to a wifi only iPad.

LTE or Wifi. Either or.

TheKricket

macrumors member
Mar 12, 2012
Lemme see if I can answer your question.

Are you simply trying to access the internet on your iPad while you're out and about (no WiFi)?

There are no JB apps that work in that way - but you can tether an iPad to your cell phone. Usually - your cell phone carrier will charge you to use tethering on your handset.

If you have an iPhone, however - there are JB apps for THAT that will allow you to share your internet connection with your iPad...

I'm not sure if that's what you're getting at - but it is an option.

edsel12

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 1, 2010
Lemme see if I can answer your question.

Are you simply trying to access the internet on your iPad while you're out and about (no WiFi)?

There are no JB apps that work in that way - but you can tether an iPad to your cell phone. Usually - your cell phone carrier will charge you to use tethering on your handset.

If you have an iPhone, however - there are JB apps for THAT that will allow you to share your internet connection with your iPad...

I'm not sure if that's what you're getting at - but it is an option.

Thats what I was going for TheKricket. Can I use my iPhone to tether to my iPad. Thanks!

dieburnbot

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
CA
I'd say it's a need. I was on the fence too, but noticed that I use it waay more than I ever thought I would. On road trips and traveling mostly it comes in very handy.

xraytech

macrumors 68030
Mar 24, 2010
Thats what I was going for TheKricket. Can I use my iPhone to tether to my iPad. Thanks!

Yes you can tether but here's the catch, your iPhone is not LTE ready. So if you are expecting LTE Speed tethering to you iPhone, you're out of luck. At best you'll get 3G which is about 5Mbps while LTE is 20Mbps.

Cancelled
May 30, 2007
What do the majority of the LTE users choose: AT&T or Verizon? Curious if the AT&T model has an 3G inside? That would make it more useful for global travel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.