Do i need Apple ID ?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by vim147, Mar 24, 2012.

1. vim147 macrumors regular

Just bought my 1st Mac Mini. getting used to Mac's from PC.

Tried to download skype but was asked for an apple id. tried to register then asked me for credit cards details and home address so didnt bother.

is this normal ??

2. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Yes. Although you will be asked for your CC details when you first setup your iTunes account, nothing will be taken from it unless you allow it.

It's required to create the account, but I have heard others say you can REMOVE the CC after creating the account....Not sure about that one, others here will know.

If you are concerned about security, don't be...Apple are fine..:)

3. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I have removed my CC information after the registration process was completed. I had it on there for years and then there became too many instances of iTunes accounts being hacked and my family shares an account. When my kids started downloading lots (they are good kids and it was all free things that my wife authorized), I became leary that they might have somehow gotten the password and removed payment information to make sure they don't download expensive/ paid stuff (and will just add it back or used prepaid cards as I need them from now on).

The point of the post is to prove that it is possible to remove billing information and still have the account behave normally.

4. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

I thought it could be done....Fortunaly, no kids, so I have my iTunes account setup with details for purchases.

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

My kids are still young (10 and 11) but now getting to the age that they are taking an interest in the internet, music, and stuff in the computer age. They inherited the old iPhones a few years back when we upgraded and since have taken the interest. I had my account set up like yours for years, but found I had purchased very little and stay on free offerings, so no need for the information there to temp (and I did find out that they don't have the password, but this just makes sure that they can't "accidentally" download paid things, as sometimes they don;t watch prices). :)