Do I need Atomic anymore.....Safari

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rirawin, Nov 12, 2011.

1. rirawin macrumors regular

Hi

I got an Ipad2 again and now Safari has tabs do I need Atomic anymore, I mean I have the latest 5.01 update so I'm not sure whether to download Atomic again or stick to Safari?

What is everyone's experience at the moment?.

2. palpatine macrumors 68040

it depends on what you want. safari still sucks in many regards, and i am glad to have icab mobile myself. with the ipad, i think it is always good to have apps with overlapping functionality so that you don't find yourself in a bind later.

3. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

I prefer using Atomic for its fullscreen option alone -- and for being able to switch to and from fullscreen by just putting down three fingers. But I actually use both. I think Safari is fine as well. I just wish that Atomic had a nicer icon.

4. Grolubao macrumors 65816

Grolubao

Atomic is nicer because you can do gestures, back and forward, that's really handy!

5. bocomo macrumors 6502

i loathe switching between browsers because of my large number of bookmarks

how do you all deal with that on the ipad?

6. sracer macrumors 603

sracer

I continue to use Atomic (for all of the previous reasons mentioned) but also because of it's adBlock functionality. It really helps speed up browsing.

7. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

The lack of full screen, gestures, and proper file download capabilities still keeps me from switching back to Safari.

8. ninerfan macrumors regular

Love Apollo IM. Best iPad browser I've ever used. Syncs Chrome and Firefox bookmarks, direct chat with Facebook and much more!

9. Mochi Hana macrumors 6502a

Mochi Hana

This, and its download and full screen capability make it loads better than Safari. I'm also sticking with Atomic.

10. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Adblock, private browsing, dimming feature for night browsing, lock rotation feature, bookmarks above tabs with auto pull down menu... Just to name a few more features.

11. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

How do these features compare with iCab?

12. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Been a while since i downloaded and tried iCab. Atomic became my favorite browser, due to the swipe gestures so closely resembling my MBP, so I stuck with it. I've tried every web browser as it has come out and Atomic has consistently maintained the most desktop like experience IMO.

You can't really go wrong with iCab either. For me, it's the second best browser out there. The newest one out there Apollo, I hated.

13. rirawin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, going to stick Atomic back on then. I was just wondering since I'm back on the Ipad2 scene if Safari made it redundant.

14. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Well, then I guess it's time to give Aromic a spin. ;)

15. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Thanks for telling me about this browser! Loving the split screen + that it is free!!

Does anyone else remember one of the first Jailbreak apps (before the app store) was the AIM client, Apollo IM? Funny! Hahaha too bad MobileChat went down the ******* when the app store came out. Ah those were the days... Cro-mag Rally....

16. Shadyriley macrumors 6502

Thanks guys Ive been using Atomic for 6 months now and didn't know about the gestures. Safari is the worlds ********* browser, behind Internet Explorer of course.

17. Q-Dog macrumors 6502

Q-Dog

I'm mostly using Atomic, but started using Safari again for the "reader" function on news sites that run articles on multi pages.

18. AceCoolie macrumors regular

BrowserMark in Safari = 99783. BrowserMark in Atomic = 55091. Now that Safari supports tabs, I see no use for Atomic.

19. Mac.World macrumors 68000

Mac.World

Yes, everyone knows Safari is optimized for web browsing on the iPad, while 3rd party apps are not. The occassional stuttering you see while scrolling down a page is not present with Safari.

That said, the advantages Atomic has over Safari, far outweighs this one issue.

20. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

If Safari on iPad could have the feature of complete fullscreen browsing (just the three-finger press to do this in Atomic is great), then it would be my default browser.

I also wish though that Safari in Lion could have much easier true fullscreen without the toolbar (like was available in some of the earlier Lion betas) -- but I guess that's not a hugely important feature to them.

21. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

Full screen mode would be awesome. Even lion's fullscreen safari isn't really full screen like chrome's.

full screen mode is the most elegant way to browse a website. I wonder why Apple "Jobs" is/was so opposed to it.

22. NameUndecided macrumors 6502a

Really, even the option to hide the toolbar is greyed-out in Lion's Safari when the browser is in "Lion's full screen." It was so nice in the early beta when I had a keyboard shortcut to easily hide and unhide the toolbar.

I can still right click the toolbar and select to hide it that way, but then to unhide it, I have to go to "View - Customize Toolbar" and then click out of the customize menu that pops up. Quite a bit less elegant than the "cmd + apostrophe" that I had setup before.