Do I need Boot Camp along with Fusion (MBP)?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by SteelWheel, Apr 16, 2008.

1. SteelWheel macrumors member

Hey, long time lurker, first time poster..

I'm getting ready to take the plunge (I think)--it's sort of getting forced on me by the end of OEM XP at the end of June. I'm letting one of the third party resellers (PC Connection) do all the grunt work for me, with respect to loading up XP via Fusion. Initially I had suggested a 40 GB Boot Camp partition for XP, which I gather I could always invoke with Fusion, for when I want to run both OSes at once.

The thing is, I can't imagine many situations where I'll actually want to boot natively into XP. I'm not a gamer, so that's not an issue. I do play online poker and bridge a lot, but those are not such demanding apps--running them under Fusion should be no biggie, I would imagine. The only part that would be a problem might be some of the data-mining software available for online poker (which currently runs under Windows only--some of those data-bases can get pretty big).

I may well decide to run MS Office for 2007 under Fusion rather than 2008 for Mac, because of the loss of VBA in the new Mac version. Additionally, I do make use of the Slysoft suite (AnyDVD, CloneCD, CloneDVD, etc) from time to time--I'm not sure how easy it is for Fusion to allow an XP program access to the SuperDrive, so this was another concern of mine.

So: Is any of this enough to warrant having a Boot Camp partition? Or would it still be overkill and/or sort of unnecessary?

The config I had inquired about was this one (with a 40 GB Boot Camp XP partition and Fusion--undecided on formatting the XP as FAT or NTFS):

* 2.6GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
    * 4GB 667MHz DDR2 SDRAM - 2x2GB
    * 200GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm
    * SuperDrive 8X (DVD±R DL/DVD±RW/CD-RW)
    * MacBook Pro 15-inch Glossy Widescreen Display
    * Apple MagSafe Airline Adapter
    * Apple Remote
    * iWork ’08 Preinstalled
    * Backlit Keyboard/Mac OS - U.S. English

Thanks for any advice--gotta make a decision soon..Then I may well be asking similar questions soon about a MacPro.. :)

2. steveza macrumors 68000

steveza

I don't think that you would need boot camp but the choice is up to you. Fusion will cover you for all of those things and when it comes to big databases all you need is the space available - I have the exact same spec of MBP and I run all sorts of apps without any problems.

As far as adding the Superdrive to Fusion, it's just a tick in a box and can be done on the fly.

3. SteelWheel thread starter macrumors member

Sorry for the bump, and apologize if there are too many threads on the same subjects--but just as a quickie follow-up:

I did order my MBP--I ended up ordering it from Tekserve, which is a local (for me), non-Apple-owned retail store in New York, which nonetheless specializes in Apple products. Felt better to work with a store with a human face.

They also dissuaded me from going the Boot Camp route, and suggested that I just use virtualization for my Windows needs--but they more or less talked me into Parallels, as opposed to Fusion. Does Parallels also freely allow XP to access the SuperDrive? Also, if I change my mind later on: It's my understanding that Fusion is pretty good about converting a Parallels VM to Fusion. Is that right?

Thanks for the help, folks--now I have to get used to the idea that I've just spent some ridiculous amount of money on a new laptop...dealing with the nauseousness...:)