Do I need desktop and internet to use iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by davidlw, Jan 2, 2011.

1. davidlw macrumors 6502a

I am trying to go all mobile. I talked to a Apple Rep. who said that I must have a desktop and internet connection in order to update and sync the iPad. Is there no way to just buy a 3G\WIFI iPad and never hook up to a computer. I think you can do this with the Galaxy Tab.

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

Correct. Preferably a Mac (which comes with iTunes). ;)

The Galaxy Tab doesn't require any syncing, but the iPad does with iTunes.

4. macfanrutler macrumors regular

macfanrutler

You only need a computer to activate or update to a new iOS version. After that you can do everything from the iPad.

5. InsanelyApple macrumors 6502

InsanelyApple

Just hook it up to a friends computer, and then you can be independent of a computer.

6. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

If you are going to make bold statements like that to someone who does not know, perhaps they also need to be told the things that they won't be able to do without syncing to a computer.

Yes they can be independent as long as they don't wish to do some types of things.

7. Apple... macrumors 68020

Apple...

...like update the OS or encrypt data for back-up.

8. jdcell100 macrumors regular

9. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

also you need a computer if you want to jailbreak. It's best to have a computer in case iOS on your iPad blows up and you need to restore at any given time

10. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I got mine several months ago, when there still was a waiting list to get one. Because of my work schedule, my mother picked it up for me at the Apple store. They had activated it the Apple store. No computer needed on my part.

I jail broke my iPad via jailbreakme.com. No computer needed. (I know, that was an exploit on how safari handled PDFs and it was for 3.2 only, but....)

Having a computer does make managing your iPad easier, but it is not a requirement. I'll even bet that if you walked into an Apple store, they would install iOS updates for you.

Internet. If you are talking about 3G, the answer is no. If you are talking about Internet at home, the answer is yes.

The new Mac Book Airs are sweet. You could use the Air to manage the iPad, and for when you need more than a tablet. Just sayin... ;)

11. dave006 macrumors 68020

As others have indicated; you need a Mac or a PC for a couple of key items, it does not have to be a desktop. It could be as others have suggested, a netbook or an Macbook with iTunes for a couple of key items.

1. Activation or update OS
    2. iTunes - you might want some of the features here
    3. To backup your iPad!!!!

Nobody says that you have to own the Mac or PC but you should have a plan.

Dave

12. jtp098 macrumors 6502a

+1 for this

But you can do it all in the apple store. My sister bought my iPad and had them plug it in there register it to my account and run the updates.... So they will sure do it all for you anytime you go in.. So you really don't need a computer... Unless you want to back up.. But you could just use a external hard drive and go to the apple store again for that.

So go mobile why not :p

13. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

Ok so with that hurdle taken care of, is there a app that will allow me to print to a wireless printer. Can I print any Word, Excel, or email like this?

14. seajay96 macrumors 6502

There are several, each works differently depending on the app and the printer. If you can find one of the HP Printers that iPad recognizes natively, that would work the best.

15. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Buy a cheap used laptop and only use it for that.

16. davidlw thread starter macrumors 6502a

I went into the Apple store today and they said that I could activate a new iPad there and get updates so I think that I am good to go. The reason that I asked all of this is I may one day take a 1 year travel trip and wanted to know if I could go completely mobile and it seems the answer is yes.

17. frunkis54 macrumors 65816

frunkis54

you don't need a computer besides the activation and updates. I got mine release day and it has been synced the orignal day and 1 other then to update to 4.2 and that is it.

18. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

@OP, Having a computer (desktop/Laptop), will help to keep a backup of your stuff and updating the software, however it is not absolutely a must. You can have service like MobileME or Google Sync to keep your Contacts and Calendar in the cloud and take the Ipad to the Apple store for Software updates. You will lose your game saves and SMS and stuff every time.

19. Panch0 macrumors 6502a

You must have WiFi for AirPrint. If your only connection were the built-in 3G on the iPad, printing would be difficult.

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

I would assume** that you could backup and restore from backup at the Apple store.

**talking to the store's manager would confirm this.

21. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Thumb drive.