Do I need disk images?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by PapaDoink, Oct 15, 2008.

1. PapaDoink macrumors newbie

After I have already installed my application do I still need to keep the disk image?

2. i.shaun macrumors 6502a

i.shaun

No.

Double click the .dmg file, install the app, and delete the dmg if you like.

Personally, I keep all mine handy, especially apps I payed for. If I ever need to re-install, I have them all on disk, and don't have to go searching. I recommend you do the same, it comes in handy sometimes. I've got backups of all my PC programs, and OS X programs, including widgets and preference panes. At least the ones I downloaded.

3. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

As i.shaun says, keep the ones you paid for, but you can off load them as backup files. Something like a Firefox.dmg you'll want to get rid of anyway as there is almost always a more recent version available online.

Check out 'HDD name'>Library>Receipts as well for .pkg files. There will be some there you won't need anymore either. But don't delete any if you're not sure what they do.

4. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why would you delete anything in the receipts folder? Won't that mess up your computer when you try and repair permissions?

5. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

Yes, deleting certain ones will mess things up. It's not worth doing if you're not exactly sure, but I did say some not all. I know of at least one other person in our user group who has done it as well as me.