Resolved Do I need HandBrake?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by camelia, Apr 23, 2019.

1. camelia macrumors 6502

camelia

Hello,

Newbie trying to editing videos :oops:

At this moment I am working with .m2ts files but I can play them with QuickTime Player, Elemdia player or
    VLC media player, and I can edit them with iMovie or VEGAS Movie Studio and save them as .mp4

So why I need HandBrake to convert the .m2ts files to .mp4 before edit them?

Thanks
    Came

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

The need to convert depends on your editing software and the video format. Premiere imports m2ts files and natively supports certain Sony cameras, but m2ts is optimized for video compression and playback and not video editing.

Video is rarely a series of frames (pictures) due to the size of the final video, so some compression is usually used. And certain compression types are designed for later editing to make life easier, usually by only minimally compressing. So a format not designed for editing might need a conversion unless you have software designed to work with m2ts directly.

Hope that helps.

3. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

There are a few things going on here and probably the best two things you can do is learn about the following -

Find a good software with a good reputation for editing video. Make sure to find out what formats it can handle and then learn the best path to get to a usable media file format for editing. Some will import* certain types of files and do the conversion for you without need of another software (and some require a format other than what you have so you will need that 3rd party software).

The catch with all of these "conversions" is you are going from one form of compression to another and that means some loss of quality. Often this is the video side of things as audio can be kept relative pristine with the right formats. Handbrake is a really cool piece of software but alas, probably not needed for doing some conversion other than to compress and make a smaller file as well as the format itself.

Here are some software options you might want to check out. You would want to find out which type of files they will successfully import first. These are just a casual list as there are probably a couple of others people can recommend.
    • DaVinci Resolve
    • Final Cut Pro X
    • Adobe Premiere Pro CC
    • Adobe Premiere Elements 2018

4. camelia thread starter macrumors 6502

camelia

Ok, Ok here I am going to ask again :p

If I want to upload my videos to YouTube or only share them with my friends is .mp4 the best format?

Adobe solutions is very expensive for me, but Does Final Cut Pro X can handle and convert m2ts files to .mp4 without loss of quality (Video and sound)?

Thanks
    Came

5. Dave Braine macrumors 68040

Dave Braine

It's as good as any.

I don't know about FCP, but you can "re wrap" the m2ts files into an m4v(basically mp4) container without conversion and any loss of quality by using ReWrapAVCHD.
    http://www.timesforfun.de

6. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

mp4 is actually a container, and what people think of mp4 is often H.264 in mp4. H.264 is a good format as it will play just about everywhere without downloading an app, but for YouTube they want one of these: https://support.google.com/youtube/troubleshooter/2888402?hl=en
    • MOV
    • MPEG4
    • MP4
    • AVI
    • WMV
    • MPEGPS
    • FLV
    • 3GPP
    • WebM
    • DNxHR
    • ProRes
    • CineForm
    • HEVC (h265)
    YouTube cannot accept M2TS, so M2TS is apparently an unpopular format.

Converting anything will cause a small loss of quality. It is like someone showing you a photo and you redraw it yourself, but for video. Sometimes you can get good results where you don't see the change in quality.

As mentioned you can change the container, but not everything will guarantee to play it as most phones/tablets/etc settled on H.264 for video playback (and are slowly adding H.265 and others). You can do a small test file and see who has problems in your target audience, but H.264 is very close to a universal video format so everyone seems to use if for simplicity.

7. Partron22 macrumors 68020

Partron22

Watch out on the audio end of things as well.
    There are some versions of AAC or AC3 that are not recognized ny players such as Kodi.

The container concept for video distribution was a good one, but that .MP4 at the end of a file name can mean quite a few different things.

8. camelia thread starter macrumors 6502

camelia

ReWrapAVCHD is a very old app
    Any newer?

Thanks
    Came

9. MacUser2525 macrumors 68000

MacUser2525

Age does not matter with an application like that working with an established never changing standard file format. There is only one way to move it to a different container it probably uses ffmpeg like most of them programs do. If you want a modern command line version of that you will need to install it from a third party, you could compile your own version though. Then make your own gui like they have or use it on the command line.

10. camelia thread starter macrumors 6502

camelia

Lol

yeah sure :rolleyes:

Came