Do I need HDMI cables?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Unconsoled, Nov 30, 2008.

1. Unconsoled macrumors regular

Hi all. I am getting my new Apple TV on Tuesday and I am curious about the set up. I am buying a new HDTV tomorrow as well and I am curious about the HDMI cable situation. From what I understand the quality is better with HDMI cables and that there is just the one cable for audio and video. Is this correct? Do you guys use them or not and if so are they worth the crazy price for them?

Thanks

Brendan

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Use HDMI. Buy a six foot cable online for $10 as opposed to a three foot cable at Wal-Mart for $25.

3. Unconsoled thread starter macrumors regular

It's that good?

4. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Retail stores ALWAYS overcharge for cables. It's one of the ways they make their money—lure you in with competitive prices on the expensive stuff, and then overcharge for the "small" stuff. Always buy your cables online. I highly recommend monoprice.com.

5. dbwie macrumors 6502

can use component connections

You can use component video cables which will carry 720p. You would then need a separate cable for audio, preferably an optical audio cable. This setup works fine for me. I have tried HDMI, which appears to offer more vibrant colors. This is my subjective perception. Since my TV has only one HDMI input, I have dedicated this to another peripheral and have the appleTV connected via component video and optical audio (to my digital AV receiver).

6. Capt Crunch macrumors 6502

7. Unconsoled thread starter macrumors regular

The tv I am getting has three HDMI ports in it so the ports are not an issue. Does HDTV from my cable company need HDMI too?

8. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

Yes, you should make sure they give you an HDMI cable with your HD Cablebox.

You should have an HDMI cable connecting your DVD/BluRay player, another for your AppleTV, and a third for your cable box.

9. Unconsoled thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks Mayhem. That was my next question about the home theater (which I am also getting tomorrow). You guys have been really helpful. Thanks.

10. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

When I've gotten cable boxes in the past from the cable company, they never came with an HDMI cable. The Apple TV doesn't either. But you can get HDMI cables for low prices at monoprice.com. I've ordered cables from them a couple of times. In fact, I often buy two cables when I need one, just to have spares and because they give you a little more off the already cheap price when you buy 2 of the same cable at once.

11. NeoMayhem macrumors 6502a

If you have comcast, you have to ask for the cables, but they are free. Time Warner charges for them, but they cost a lot less then the $50-100 ones at bestbuy.

12. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I don't think anybody ever answered the question.

If available ports are not an issue, you don't need HDMI cables for AppleTV. There is no 1080p video available via the device, so you don't *need* one. However, I would recommend HDMI over using a component cable and another audio cable. The quality is supposed to be better, but I honestly can't tell it just by looking.

If you ever hook up a Blu-ray Disc player, you need HDMI if your TV is 1080p. Otherwise, you're wasting video and audio quality that you already paid for. Same will go if you get 1080p video elsewhere. Dish Network says they have some stuff in 1080p now, but I just have a 720p television.

The monoprice.com site looks like they have some good cable deals. This looks like what you need:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10240&cs_id=1024012&p_id=4159&seq=1&format=2

Assuming shipping isn't $10, those prices will beat Target and the other store that shall not be mentioned.

13. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

14. Chris Rogers macrumors 6502a

Chris Rogers

you can get RELIABLE HDMI cables for under $10 from Amazon. I have them and they're grrrrrrrrreat!

15. iOrlando macrumors 68000

i have red/white audio and the 3-way monster video cable...get HD and 5.1 fine with those. you dont need HDMI, but if you dont have any wires to begin with...it might be cheaper then getting monster cable and then audio cables.