Do I need iCloud?

Discussion in 'iOS 5 and earlier' started by MacAndMic, Oct 13, 2011.

1. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

I have an iMac and an iPhone 4 I sync with. I backup my iMac regularly. Are there any benefits that iCloud will give me (other than another backup source)?

2. darster Suspended

3. NWI73 macrumors 6502a

Can you further clarify ?

Can you further clarify?

4. MacAndMic thread starter macrumors 6502

I seen find my mac in there. Nice to have if it ever got stolen I guess.

5. dyn macrumors 68030

iCloud is free e-mail and syncing services. That means that you don't to hook up the iPhone and iMac to exchange contact and calendar information. Since I have a desktop, laptop and an iPhone I use iCloud (and previously MobileMe) to keep the information on all those 3 devices the same (contacts, calendar and mail). There are other solutions like what Google offers (really bad contact sync) or what hosted Exchange companies offer (it is simply exchange which gives you good contact, calendar sync and mail).

6. aphexacid macrumors 6502a

aphexacid

i'm using it only to back up my contacts so far. I love that i'll never lose them again. I never wanted to integrate them with my gmail, so they've never been in the cloud before.

7. Shadow2k macrumors member

I use it for email and to sync my contacts and calendar.

The rest is rather useless unless you like unflexible sync services that dictate you on what gets synced and which apps are able to access it or not. (I want my iDisk back!)