Do I need Install Disks?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by treefidi, Dec 3, 2009.

1. treefidi macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    This may sound like a slightly off the wall question. I received a new 13" Mac Book Pro today that I have bought for my wife. This is a first for me as I have always owned PC's before but ve heard that the Mac is very easy to use and perfect for what my wife needs. (Photo editting, etc). However when it arrived my wife had to go to hospital with our newborn (not eating enough) and when I went with her I took the little folder with what I assume had all the disks and install bits and pieces in it so I could read up on it while the baby is looked at. Unfortunately they are having to spend the night in hospital and my sleep deprived brain forgot to remind me to bring the disks and stuff home from the hospital.
    I wanted to surprise her tomorrow morning with everything ad deliiver the mac toher in hospital up and running.
    My question is can I just turn the thing on and it will run the setup process automatically or will I need to have the disks to hand? When I read that it sets up out of the box, am I taking that oo literally. I dont want to just turn it on and find out as it is the first time I have done a mac install and dont want to mess it up. (I have done countless windows installs from 95 to 7, all painfull).
    Its not a huge problem if I have to wait, it just would be a nice surprise
    Any advice would be most appreciated.

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You only need the install/restore DVDs when you want to repair the Mac or install the Mac OSX, so you will be fine without them during first starting it up.

You can get replacement DVDs from Apple for 30USD if you need them at a later point.

3. easy-mac macrumors member

First off, sorry to hear that your newborn isn't feeling well. I hope he/she gets better soon! As far as needing the discs, the only reason you would need them is to either reinstall/repair OSX or to install some of the extra utilities not included in the standard OSX installation, such as X11 or various printer drivers or some other things I can't think of off the top of my head. From what you've described you won't need any of these, so you should be good to go. Congratulations on your MBP and your newborn!

4. treefidi thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks

Thanks for advice guys, I will boot it up now and get it up and running.