Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Marc_S

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2017
United Kingdom
Hi All,

After 30something years of MS, I moved from Windows to MacOS last November and have no complaints, in fact, happy I did. I have a 2017 13inch MBP w TB, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, High Sierra 10.13.3. Having acquired my main productivity software (Adobe & MS). I chose to manually move files from my 7 year old Windows laptop. I also installed Chrome. So far so good.

I think I had some MS Windows internet driven Apps and websites that recommend Java and to be honest I don't think I've copied the links across as yet but not 100% sure. At present I don't want anything surplus to requirements as I'm trying to keep things lean & mean!

So back to my original question as per subject in case I come across apps/sites that recommend java, do I need Java? Will it enhance or degrade performance? Any security issues with MacOS?

Thanks / Marc

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Hi All,

After 30something years of MS, I moved from Windows to MacOS last November and have no complaints, in fact, happy I did. I have a 2017 13inch MBP w TB, 16GB RAM, 500GB SSD, High Sierra 10.13.3. Having acquired my main productivity software (Adobe & MS). I chose to manually move files from my 7 year old Windows laptop. I also installed Chrome. So far so good.

I think I had some MS Windows internet driven Apps and websites that recommend Java and to be honest I don't think I've copied the links across as yet but not 100% sure. At present I don't want anything surplus to requirements as I'm trying to keep things lean & mean!

So back to my original question as per subject in case I come across apps/sites that recommend java, do I need Java? Will it enhance or degrade performance? Any security issues with MacOS?

Thanks / Marc
Java in a web browser is definitely a security concern, regardless of platform. It's not necessary for the vast majority of users, so don't install it unless you know you have a specific need.

Reactions: Marc_S

leman

macrumors Core
Oct 14, 2008
I would strongly recommend you agains enabling Java in the browser (and there is virtually nothing that would require that anyway nowadays). As to whether you need Java on desktop it depends to what you software use.

Marc_S

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2017
United Kingdom
Java in a web browser is definitely a security concern, regardless of platform. It's not necessary for the vast majority of users, so don't install it unless you know you have a specific need.
Great thanks!
[doublepost=1518622046][/doublepost]
I would strongly recommend you agains enabling Java in the browser (and there is virtually nothing that would require that anyway nowadays). As to whether you need Java on desktop it depends to what you software use.
Great Thanks. Appreciate quick reply! :)

stradify

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2015
USA
Hi Marc,
There are sites that will not function properly without java. The question is do you visit those sites?
Capitol One, American Express, CITI Bank and BB&T bank are some that I know of that you can't log into without java being enabled. If you bank online there's a high probability that you may need java.

Which web browser are you using? If you're using Firefox or one of its variants, like Waterfox, you can install QuickJava as an add-on allowing you to toggle Java off and on from the task bar. It also enables you to enable and disable Cookies, Flash and JavaScript. A very handy add-on. If you get to a site that requires java, cookies, etc. you just enable it using QuickJava and you're good to go.

Attachments

• QuickJava copy.jpg
    QuickJava copy.jpg
    20.2 KB · Views: 167

Kekinash

macrumors member
Nov 24, 2016
-
Hi Marc,
There are sites that will not function properly without java. The question is do you visit those sites?
Capitol One, American Express, CITI Bank and BB&T bank are some that I know of that you can't log into without java being enabled. If you bank online there's a high probability that you may need java.

Which web browser are you using? If you're using Firefox or one of its variants, like Waterfox, you can install QuickJava as an add-on allowing you to toggle Java off and on from the task bar. It also enables you to enable and disable Cookies, Flash and JavaScript. A very handy add-on. If you get to a site that requires java, cookies, etc. you just enable it using QuickJava and you're good to go.

None of those site uses Java, they use javascript which is completely something different. I need java only to run my C++ IDE Eclipse, java for safari is disabled by default and NOT needed.

Marc_S

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 23, 2017
United Kingdom
Hi Marc,

Really useful info to know.! THANKS! Actually, of the banking sites you mention, I only use Amex and I haven't logged on via their website for almost a year I've been able to do everything through the Amex iOS App! I mainly use Chrome and so far nothing has forced me towards Java, but I flip over to Safari sometimes, and sometimes Safari by default when clicking links via MacOS mail client. Appreciate the QuickJava recommendation when/if I find myself in the situation of needing it! Cheers :)
[doublepost=1518627302][/doublepost]
None of those site uses Java, they use javascript which is completely something different. I need java only to run my C++ IDE Eclipse, java for safari is disabled by default and NOT needed.
THANKS for this input!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.