Do I need Leopard to install Snow Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by maxap, Oct 21, 2009.

1. maxap macrumors 6502

maxap

Hey guys!

I cannot find an answer to my question, so I really hope you will be able to help me.

At the moment, I am using the Unibody MacBook Pro with Leopard (OSX 10.5), but I would like to install Snow Leopard.
    How does it actually work? Do I have to install Snow Leopard over my existing Leopard?
    And if I want to reinstall Snow Leopard while using it, will I have to install Leopard again in order to be able to install Snow Leopard?

The problem is that I heard that Snow Leopard checks whether you have original Leopard installed on your mac in order to progress with the installation. So will I always have to install it over Leopard so that I will need both dvds (Leopard and Snow Leopard) in the future?

Can anyone explain this whole situation, pls? :(

2. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

No you do not. Just buy the $30 version of Snow Leopard and install. It will work just fine. Almost every review of SL mentioned this.

3. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Well, it will probably work just fine. The installation should go without a hitch, but some users are reporting problems with the performance once installed. My suspicion is that most of the problems are caused by incompatibility of add-ons and enhancements, but I have no polling data to support that.

4. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

No, it will work just fine. Any problems that have occurred are in the minority, so the chances of this happening are quite small.

5. siorai macrumors 6502

The only thing that you will not have by only using the Snow Leopard disc to install is iLife. After SL is installed, you can just use your Leopard disc to install iLife.

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

No, it will probably work just fine. As you say "the chances of this happening"...That would be the probability. The odds are in your favor, but you cannot guarantee flawless performance. You have to take the expertise of the user into account, and that's data you don't have.

7. pcs are junk macrumors 65816

put in the cd, and click install mac os x, its as simple as that, nothing will be lost its just an update

8. fishmoose macrumors 68000

Unles you choose to do a clean install, which I did.

9. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

lol at the "expertise" comment. I've installed SL on a new SSD drive w/o zero issues and I'm far from being an "expertise".

10. ivnj macrumors 65816

Yes I have installed right on top of leopard and am experiencing no issues.

11. Gregg2 macrumors 603

To clarify:

It's not in the installation that expertise, or lack thereof, creates problems. It's in the use afterwards.

12. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

But the OP didn't ask if SL is working better than Leopard. He asked if he can install it without the Leopard disk.

So .. yes it will be fine :)

13. brendon2020 macrumors 6502

i did fresh installs on my machines, i wasn't to happy with the performance of doing upgrades.