Do i need MobileMe anymore?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by mortenhede, Feb 11, 2011.

1. mortenhede macrumors newbie

Hi all,

I have had a MobileMe account for a couple of years now, and that has been my back-up for most important documents, e-mail-options, contacts, calendars, and so on.

I have newly bought an iPhone 4 (which i sync with my Mac) and I already got Time Machine (which backs up my entire computer). Furthermore I have just created a DropBox-account.

Now I just got an e-mail about MobileMe-renewal, and I was wondering if I could save those €79 per year..? In my logics I am quite secured, but am I missing something without MobileMe? (Find my iPhone is free now)

Looking forward to your respond! :)

/Morten, DK

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Probably not, but as usual with the "Do I need/Do I want/How do I feel?" threads, the decision ultimately lies with you. It sounds like you could get by with the free Google tools just fine.

3. mortenhede thread starter macrumors newbie

Funny answer - and a little condescending.. :) I just asked if I am missing a function in MobileMe in my list of what i know that MobileMe can do. I wasn't planning on making my decision on your answer.. Got my own brains, mate! :)

But thanks a lot.. Other people, who got comments on my question?

4. keaide macrumors regular

I never used MobileMe, but from my experience with Google, it seems that things like contact syncing have some issues with incompatible fields (such as the birthday field, which does not get synchronized). So if you depend on anything specific, just get a Google account and run it along MobileMe for some days to see if you would miss anything.

GMail works just fine for me and syncs nicely between the iMac, iPhone and the Google server. If you sue any other services, such as the picture gallery, you could try Picasa or flickr. I think there are plenty of choices out there. For me, Google maybe comes closest in terms of a comprehensive solution. And in recent days, they have started to do a better job to integrate and connect their various services better.

5. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

Go search on ebay or Amazon you can probably find Mobile me renewal for under 50 euros, under 70 for sure. Mobile me is as good as it gets for syncing all of your Apple products. Is it great? no... not for the price but if you can find it for less I would say its worth it. Here in the US Mobile me retails for $100 but I renewed my membership for just $55 so the ease and convenience was worth it for me. About $1 a week. I could live without mobile me using Google's tools and other third party options but the ease and simplicity of mobile me is worth the cost.

Albeit Apple must offer more if they expect to keep me another year as other options keep getting better for free or much less. I will dump mobile me in the next year or two if Apple does not do more. That will be a sad day since I have been using Mobile me some 9 years now since the days of itools and .mac

6. junker macrumors 6502

junker

Jeez, what a jerk response to the first person to answer you. I see you're new around here (Welcome) so maybe you could ease up a bit.

In his response, I could read no condescension whatsoever.

7. RDRoe macrumors newbie

RDRoe

Actually MobileMe makes it really easy to stay in the compatible world of ical, bookmarks, etc. Sync and forget it. A nominal fee for the year. I use it between 4 Macs and I don't even think about it.

I use DropBox extensively, but as a cloud base file system. I tried the Google route with sync-ing using 3rd party stuff. Not worth the effort.

To quote the info-mercial "Set it and forget it"

8. Big D 51 macrumors 6502a

Big D 51

X2. I agree to all this. I enjoy my MobileMe account.

9. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

OP: how in the hell are we meant to know whether you need MobileMe or not? Only you can tell that.