Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adam11216

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 8, 2007
I have a couple-month old 2.66 Quad Core that's been struggling with exporting PDFs from large InDesign files - getting an "Out of Memory" error. I have 3GB of RAM and I'm using CS2, and I've noticed that InDesign, Photoshop and Illustrator put a hurting on my RAM. Today, after working on a few 50-60MB files, Photoshop was laying claim to over a GB or REAL RAM, not virtual. InDesign usually hovers around 400-500MB and Illustrator's not much better. Would I be better off getting another 2GB of RAM or upgrading to CS3 so it's not running under Rosetta anymore?

RichP

macrumors 68000
Jun 30, 2003
Motor City
I would say CS3 hands down; Rosetta is RAM hungry, and you are taking a serious performance hit using it. You may also get a more "stable" experience running CS3 as well, because its native.

marioman38

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2006
Long Beach, CA
CS3 will also make the Processing of files faster, as it won't need to translate the PPC Code. I Believe you can buy a CS3 upgrade from CS2 for a significantly reduced price.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.