Do I need more RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pcgeek12345, Dec 30, 2011.

1. pcgeek12345 macrumors regular

I use my Macbook every day for school and website work using Adobe Dreamweaver CS4, Photoshop CS4, and Bridge CS4 on a daily basis. I have noticed that Lion is a RAM hog, as well as Safari. I would think that 4 GB would be more than sufficient. In the screenshot below, I have Safari, iTunes, and my connection manager for my air card open and I have 13 MB of ram free. I am getting beachballs constantly. Coming from a PC, I know how a system acts when it needs more RAM, but I’ve not really experienced a lot of slowdown.

This is my first Mac, so let me know if I am doing something wrong, or have any tips for improving the memory usage of Lion.

So, do I need to add more RAM?

Thanks.

2. m85476585 macrumors 65816

I can't see the screenshot, but it's normal for a Mac to have almost no "free" ram because most of it is used as "inactive" ram, which is things like caches of recently closed programs to make them start faster next time you open them. Inactive RAM is supposed to be freed up when a program needs more RAM, but it doesn't always work as intended.

Look at Page Outs and Swap Used. If either regularly gets to more than a few hundred MB, you need more RAM. It sounds like you use a lot of RAM-heavy programs, so I wouldn't be surprised if you need more than 4GB. Now's a good time to upgrade because RAM has become incredibly cheap. 8GB should cost around $40.

3. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

If you only have 13MB free then I would say Yes, you need more RAM, but we really need a little more info.

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

The answer to that question is always yes.

No, to be serious, with Adobe products, you want at least 8GB.

5. HippieMagic macrumors 6502

You can "get by" on 4GB but if you are down to 13 MB free RAM then you definitely need more ram. That is horrible. I don't like being under 1GB of RAM. I had page outs at 4GB and all I was doing was running things like Coda, Netbeans, and Browsing.

8GB of RAM is cheap, super easy to install, and improves performance all around. There is really no reason not to upgrade right now. You will love the performance boost from it but be prepared to rage at the tiny screws.

6. chrisvee macrumors regular

I just picked up an 8GB kit (2x4GB) from Memory Express a few days ago for about $30.

I found the Adobe suite to run very well with 8GB compared to my prior 4GB RAM.

LOL, I was just about to say that. I had to have the smallest screw driver ever too..

7. mdhansen5 macrumors member

It's worth it!

Trust me, getting 8GB is worth it. My MacBook Pro has 8GB and it's been quite an improvement over 4GB. Adobe apps will run much better, and it's great to be able to use more than 4GB at once.

What model is your MacBook? Its definitely worth buying 8GB when it's pretty cheap right now.

8. bill-p macrumors 65832

4GB is more than sufficient... if you don't run anything made by Adobe.

But if you do, regardless if it's Mac or PC, you need as much RAM as you can afford. Seriously. In some cases, even 16GB is not enough for Photoshop.

9. Takashi macrumors regular

If prices are reasonable, then get the RAM. A pair of 4 GB should not cost more than 40 bucks nowadays.

10. pat park macrumors 6502a

the cost for 4gb ram sticks is so cheap nowadays, it makes sense to upgrade anyways. the benefits outweigh the risks.

11. Sonhascome macrumors 6502

Yea with CS you should get as much ram as you can afford.

12. mgartner0622 macrumors 65816

mgartner0622

Just wait for a sale on newegg or amazon.com. recently I bought an 8GB kit for $29.99 plus it came with a free 4GB SD card.
    I'm not an early adapter of large capacity ram, but I usually buy it when a large capacity sells for under $50. In this case it's a very easy decision considering just how cheap DDR3 is now.