Do I Need More RAM?

DAPWNER

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
I find that I am running out of RAM frequently, should I upgrade to 8GB?

Attachments

Mr. Retrofire

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2010
www.emiliana.cl/en
I find that I am running out of RAM frequently, should I upgrade to 8GB?
Do not use Safari (or other WebKit-based web browsers) as a web browser, if you have only 4 GB RAM. The other thing is, that you should disable all plugins within web browsers such as Firefox and Safari. As you see, the Flash Player (and other plugins) "love" your RAM. Enable the plugins only, if you need them.

Regarding the upgrade:
Yes, upgrade to 8 GB or 16 GB (if possible).

Comment

serb

macrumors newbie
May 29, 2012
i don't know what wired RAM is, but inactive RAM is being used for "behind the scenes" things and then when the program you are running demands more RAM that is when that RAM is freed up: it doesn't mean you only have 50mb of RAM free

Comment

DAPWNER

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Regarding the upgrade:
Yes, upgrade to 8 GB or 16 GB (if possible).
Thanks for the reply :)

Now if only i could find a place in Canada to get 8GB for ~$50 :roll eyes:

OSX Lion will use more RAM based on the amount available, correct?

i don't know what wired RAM is, but inactive RAM is being used for "behind the scenes" things and then when the program you are running demands more RAM that is when that RAM is freed up: it doesn't mean you only have 50mb of RAM free
Either way it seems to be paging (going to disk instead of memory) a fair bit :/

Comment

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester

OSX Lion will use more RAM based on the amount available, correct?

Either way it seems to be paging (going to disk instead of memory) a fair bit :/
OSX Lion does usually use up more RAM then it needs, but its 'inactive' so its reserved for when applications need to use it. Your page-outs are fairly high too, might be worth going to 8GB.

Comment

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007

:/
Not that hard or close to it... Newegg has it for $44, + tax, + 9.99 shipping. If you have a Canada Computers where you live, you should be able to get it for about the same price, without the shipping.

Comment

DAPWNER

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
OSX Lion does usually use up more RAM then it needs, but its 'inactive' so its reserved for when applications need to use it. Your page-outs are fairly high too, might be worth going to 8GB.
It would make more sense if inactive memory was more accessible so that it wouldn't have to go to disk so much :/ A lot of times it seems like the app I have open would benefit from more memory, when there is a lot in the inactive bin.

Not that hard or close to it... Newegg has it for $44, + tax, + 9.99 shipping. If you have a Canada Computers where you live, you should be able to get it for about the same price, without the shipping.
In fact, I do have a Canada Computers close to me! (Never thought very highly of it) Does it have the correct kind of RAM and is it reputable?

Comment

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
It would make more sense if inactive memory was more accessible so that it wouldn't have to go to disk so much :/ A lot of times it seems like the app I have open would benefit from more memory, when there is a lot in the inactive bin.
It usually is accessible, but OSX limits the amount of RAM each application is permitted to use, the 'inactive' RAM will eventually be used, try closing unused applications and focussing on the most RAM hungry application, your 'inactive' RAM should decrease. Not that this is very productive of course, haha.

Comment

throAU

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Inactive ram is essentially cache.

There's no point in flushing it, in case it needs to be accessed again. If OS X does run out of RAM and needs some, it will go for ram from "Free" and then "Inactive" if there is no free RAM. Inactive ram is essentially "free" it is just being used for caching whilst there is other totally unused RAM that apps could grab instead.

I agree with the upgrade to 8 or 16gb.

For the price you can get 16gb for these days, I think its a no brainer (assuming your machine is upgradable to 16, if it's not definitely get 8). If you're going to crack open the machine and install ram you may as well get double the amount for not a lot more money.

(unfortunately, as is my luck, i upgraded to 8gb about 3 months before 16gb dropped from $1000 to about $150)

Comment

NewbieCanada

macrumors 68030
Oct 9, 2007

In fact, I do have a Canada Computers close to me! (Never thought very highly of it) Does it have the correct kind of RAM and is it reputable?
Their website has a section for Apple RAM, and you can check here for recommendations for brand and type. It's not the kind of thing I can keep straight in my head, so I follow the advice of the experts here, but I *think* this is what you want, assuming a recent model Mac Mini, MacBook Pro or iMac.

G.SKILL SQ Series for Apple DDR3 1333MHz (PC3-10666) 8GB (2x4GB) SODIMM Memory (FA-10666CL9D-8GBSQ)

You're buying a sealed-package product - doesn't really matter who sells it to you.

Comment

DAPWNER

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Their website has a section for Apple RAM, and you can check here for recommendations for brand and type. It's not the kind of thing I can keep straight in my head, so I follow the advice of the experts here, but I *think* this is what you want, assuming a recent model Mac Mini, MacBook Pro or iMac.

G.SKILL SQ Series for Apple DDR3 1333MHz (PC3-10666) 8GB (2x4GB) SODIMM Memory (FA-10666CL9D-8GBSQ)
I have the current i7 13" Macbook Pro, this seems to fit its criteria.

Comment

oskin

macrumors newbie
Jun 13, 2011
Upgrade it. 8gb can be had for $30 if you are in north america.

Comment

DAPWNER

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 29, 2009
Also, what makes more sense:

1. 2x4GB (this might be faster because it can write to two chips?)
OR
2. One 8GB chip so that it would be cheaper and easier to upgrade to 16GB if I ever needed to.

Comment

AppleDApp

macrumors 68020
Jun 21, 2011
Also, what makes more sense:

1. 2x4GB (this might be faster because it can write to two chips?)
OR
2. One 8GB chip so that it would be cheaper and easier to upgrade to 16GB if I ever needed to.
RAM sticks come in pair. You have to chose now, do you want 8gb or 16gb. from there you get either 2x4gb or 2x8gb. You can always start out with 8gb and if you feel it is really necessary get 16gb and sell the older RAM.

Comment

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
RAM sticks come in pair. You have to chose now, do you want 8gb or 16gb. from there you get either 2x4gb or 2x8gb. You can always start out with 8gb and if you feel it is really necessary get 16gb and sell the older RAM.
You can definitely buy single RAM sticks. 2x4GB might perform a bit better than 1x8GB because it's then dual channel, but 1x8GB should work just fine.

Comment

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
The more the merrier. You should buy 2 identical sticks of RAM and use them together so they operate in Dual Channel mode, which is faster.

Comment

throAU

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
How does a price drop as dramatic as that occur within the space of a month?
It wasn't one month, it was about 3 months.

3 months prior to that 16gb was about $1500.

As to how?

Manufacturing process gets refined/more reliable and the supply of 8gb chips (paired for 16gb) goes up. I believe what happened is that they started making 16gb chips, the 8gb process was perfected and then they started punching out heaps of them (thus sudden price drop).

Comment

Xcallibur

macrumors 6502a
Jul 24, 2011
Manchester
It wasn't one month, it was about 3 months.

3 months prior to that 16gb was about $1500.

As to how?

Manufacturing process gets refined/more reliable and the supply of 8gb chips (paired for 16gb) goes up. I believe what happened is that they started making 16gb chips, the 8gb process was perfected and then they started punching out heaps of them (thus sudden price drop).
Arh,, so that's why the price dropped!

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.