Do I need more RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marty1990, Aug 8, 2012.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

I have a 13" MacBook Pro, late 2011. 4GB. I upgraded to Mountain Lion last week - upgrade, not a clean install - and I've noticed that certain things lag, most noticeably with Launchpad. Is this a RAM issue, or an upgrade issue?

Would installing 8GB of RAM make a difference to the 'lag', or should I reinstall Mt. Lion?

2. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Are you showing any page outs in activity monitor?

And I noticed a distinct difference in how my late '11 17" performs in going from 4 to 16 gigs. For under $100, definitely worth it!

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

To determine if you can benefit from more RAM, launch Activity Monitor and click the System Memory tab at the bottom to check your page outs. Page outs are cumulative since your last restart, so the best way to check is to restart your computer and track page outs under your normal workload (the apps, browser pages and documents you normally would have open). If your page outs are significant (say 1GB or more) under normal use, you may benefit from more RAM. If your page outs are zero or very low during normal use, you probably won't see any performance improvement from adding RAM.

Mac OS X: Reading system memory usage in Activity Monitor

4. Rocky244 macrumors regular

Use the computer for a few hours. After those hours have passed, open up Activity Monitor, and take a screen shot of what you see, including the bottom details.

Be prepared to provide information about how long you have been running the computer since its last restart, as well as which programs you had been running during that time period. Use the computer as you would normally intend to.

Then we might be able to help.

5. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

Will post whatever needs to be posted when am on my Mac, on my Windows machine at the moment.

Just one thing though, before I updated, everything ran smooth, apart from Photoshop will could lag at times, but it didn't really bother me too much, since the upgrade to Mountain Lion though, from what I've seen, certain things lag - like Launchpad. Would the upgrade have messed something up?

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Not necessarily. If you're having performance issues, this may help:

7. Geek4Mac macrumors newbie

Check your ram usage

Hey there, when you notice it going slow you should open up activity monitor and select the system memory tab. If you have hardly any free memory (indicated by green) you probably need more ram. You can also use activity monitor to see what is using all your ram by selecting the 'Real mem' filter in this window.

Here's a good tutorial on checking ram usage and how to buy the right ram: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ed2MvAyI66Q&feature=plcp

Hope this helps.

8. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Doubling to 8GB is very cheap these days.

Honestly, the slowdown could be any of a number of factors including a slow disk drive, lack of RAM, or just poorly written software.