Do I need more RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Iglio, Aug 21, 2008.

1. Iglio macrumors regular

I have 1gb of ram in my macbook as it currently stands, however, I've been looking to update it to 4g which is 100$. But me personally am not sure If i need that much, so i was thinking about just ordering 2 gb which is 50$. I need help deciding. I am a big internet user, and multi-tasker. I will have itunes, mail, ichat, and firefox open 90 percent of the time, while working on a word/pages document. And I have an external monitor if that matters. So i've never dabbled in RAM before So i'm asking you guys if you think I need 4 or 2 gigs of RAM, and yes my blackbook can hold 4gb. And thank you so much for your posts.

2. nomar383 macrumors 65816

nomar383

I think 2 will be plenty, but for 50 bucks more, why not bump up to 4 just for the heck of it? It won't hurt after all :)

3. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

More RAM is better, I had 512MB original and upped to 2GB (max on my MB) and the difference is amazing. I just wish I could up mine to 4GB :(

Max out on RAM and enjoy the speed.

4. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Go with the 4 GIG of Ram, the macbook works best with same dual channel memory. With snow leopard in the making, it will be best to install that 4 GIG of ram, your computer will be blazing fast and you WON'T regret it! It even increases your it's retail value if you decide to sell the blackbook down the line. =)

5. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

Do you need 4GB? Nah, it doesn't sound like it. You should be fine with 2GB, honestly.

But it is your money: your choice!

6. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

You don't mention it, but if you use the PC side for games etc on BootCamp or whatever, THEN you will notice a benefit in more RAM as it takes up so much.

7. OrangeSVTguy macrumors 601

OrangeSVTguy

Think of it as an older retired man buying a corvette. Yeah he has a fast car but does he use it? Now ask yourself that same question. I think 2GB would be plenty but there's nothing wrong with enjoying a comfortable ride knowing you got the power to go fast ;)