Do I need more RAM?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by macbook yes, Jun 7, 2009.

1. macbook yes macrumors 6502

All I have open is firefox and textedit. Is this high?

Once I start school I will be using firefox, word, itunes, and ical most of the time.

Attached Files:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Numbers would be nice. How much RAM you have installed would be a good place to start.

More RAM is never a bad thing if you can afford it.

3. macbook yes thread starter macrumors 6502

I've got the stock 2GB.

Attached Files:

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It looks fine to me. I've had 4 GB of RAM since 2007. It's even cheaper now.

5. RDM3 macrumors regular

I'd say go to newegg.com and get Mac approved RAM up it to 4gb, its a cheap and easy upgrade.

6. youssefm macrumors 6502

Honestly, at the moment you don't need the ram, but if you want it, and can shell out $60 for it, then sure, why not. I purchased my ram from newegg.com (its a 2 gb stick, but I bought two so it's 4gb)

7. smartalic34 macrumors 6502a

smartalic34

word is definitely a RAM hog, and firefox can be on occasion... however 2 GB should be plenty for the apps you listed.

as other posters have mentioned, RAM is getting cheaper all the time. if you cant afford it now, in a year or so it'll be dirt cheap to get 4 GB. as long as you dont experiece any slowdowns, you're fine.

if you do ever experience slowdowns, use istat to see how much RAM is listed as "free" or "inactive"

if adding these 2 categories yields a number less than 100MB, it's time for more RAM.

8. andalusia macrumors 68030

andalusia

Do you have lots of widgets open? Make sure there aren't any hidden background apps open either.. Check Activity Monitor.