Do I need my apps in iTunes anymore?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by chriswaar, Aug 10, 2011.

1. chriswaar macrumors newbie

I've got about 60 iOS apps in iTunes for syncing with my iPad. Most I downloaded a while ago and no longer use. With the "Purchased" feature in the iTunes Store (so I can re-download any app I've already purchased) I'm wondering if I need to store my apps locally in iTunes anymore. Is there a benefit to keeping them local (game saves, app saves, etc)?

If I delete them all, I'm guessing my iPad will re-sync the ones I actually have on my iPad with iTunes, but at least I'll have cleared out a ton of apps I no longer use.

Thanks for the help!

2. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

You could, but why? They don't take up much space on a PC and you can easily sync them back without having to go through the long 'Purchased' way.

I store every single app on my computer just so I can see when they get updated and decided if they need to be synced back. I've gone through the 'Purchased' list and it isn't something I'd want to do often.

3. jmccray macrumors regular

Depends

I think it all depends. With iCloud, I have now went and deleted apps that i know i will NEVER use again, but I keep the apps that I may want to put back on my devices when they are updated.

4. jaseone macrumors 65816

jaseone

You don't have to go through the purchased list, you can just search for the app or get to it via other means, if you have already purchased it the button that has free or the price on it should say Install.

The only advantages to saving them on the computer are:

- maintaining progress in games etc (hopefully this goes away in iOS 5 with the cloud)
    - Keeping a copy of controversial apps that Apple may ban like PDA Net
    - Tracking when an app you don't have installed is updated

5. chriswaar thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome, I appreciate the help! Sounds like I should keep the ones that I know I may use again.

The reason for clearing out the old ones is space. Apparently I have 200 apps (not 60) and they're taking up 9gb. In the grand scheme of things 9gb is nothing, but I am in the process of trying to clear out junk so my box can fit on an SSD that doesn't cost a fortune.

Thanks again!

6. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

You might as well keep them.
    I have some apps that were pulled from the store(iDOS, for example).

7. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

I'm aware but others may not be. Thanks for posting that.

8. shandyman Suspended

some apps already restore with settings, but this is logins, like facebook's app, beejive, ebuddy. games so far don't, but i think that's due to them needing to be updated to use iCloud's API's, so hoping this happens on launch :)

yea, i noticed VLC is one of these, as each time i restore from iCloud, it downloads all my apps bar this, which i have to put back via iTunes, which sucks, but it's small and easy enough anyway.