Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrMac84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

Hi,

I recently bought a second hand iPhone 4 with 6 months of warranty left but it didn't come with a receipt and now it needs warranty service for the touchscreen. The only option I have is mail-in service I can't go to an Apple store. So anyway, will I need my receipt for apple to service my iPhone.

Thanks.

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
for an iPhone the warranty stays with the phone not the owner. so just call them and tell them you bought a used phone with warranty and you have a problem. they will register it in your name then take care of your issue. its real easy no receipt is needed. I have done this several times. now with an iPod for some reason they ask for a receipt but I dont know why.

MrMac84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 19, 2011
Thanks but...

Thanks for the reply. Firstly, the iPhone is already registered in the old owners name, does this matter or can apple change it and secondly, which number do I need to call for this (I'm in New Zealand so the US number won't work)

Thanks

Last edited:

chargit

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2010
Evansville, In
well with that said dont hold me to what I said. thats how it works in the US. New Zealand may be different. and I have no idea what the number is over there. in the US its 1-800-my iphone

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.