Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juankurring

macrumors member
Original poster
May 31, 2022
London
Ive been using Norton on my windows pcs for centuries. They Norton include a license offer for iPhones now should I install it? is it safe without viruses to use a Norton product to protect an iPhone?

Deacon-Blues

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2012
California
I wouldn’t bother. It’ll only munch your battery in the background doing basically nothing. Viruses on iOS are of little concern.

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
No. Do not install antivirus products on any of your devices. Not even your PCs. All the lot of them are resource hogs that take over your system like Japanese knotweed and are just as nightmarish to completely remove. The only thing I ever recommended, even years ago, was Malwarebytes scanner. And that still stands. That and stop being so gullible at clicking "you have won $1M click here" links, and stop downloading p**n and hacked software from questionable websites.

Sadly it sounds like there's no way back for your PC. But at least don't cripple your phone with the same sh*te.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Echo the above comment - I stay away from Norton altogether. Such a resource hog.

On a PC I tend to go with Avast, which is free, and relatively light on resources.
On Mac/iOS I don't use anything at all, and haven't for many years.....

Jordan Earle

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2020
UK
Don’t use Norton as others have said on any of your devices. Honestly the built in Windows Defender is decent these days.

Malwarbytes is the only other tool I’d touch, all the others are almost more annoying/intrusive than actual malware…

Though that’s only when I’m using my PC, on Mac/iOS I’ve never thought about it and don’t really see how it would even work on iOS since everything is sandboxed.

Andeddu

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2016
Nope. Use Windows Defender on your PC. Never had a virus on any of my computers and refuse to pay for 3rd party antivirus software. iOS will block pretty much all viruses from your phone and tablets as long as you keep it relatively up to date.

tarsins

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2009
Wales
As other people have said, I wouldn't use Norton branded stuff on anything. Peter Norton was a respected figure decades ago but he sold his company to Symantec Corp in the 90s.

Jackbequickly

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2022
Another vote for Windows Defender which is all I have used for years now and never had a problem. Who should know how to avoid viruses better than the people who made windows!

MajorFubar

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2021
Lancashire UK
There's an iPhone version now? That's hilarious
Whole market of genuinely-ignorant / easily-fooled / technologically-anxious consumers to sell their resource-hogging knotweed to. Quite how it will work at all on a system which locksdown app privileges and sandboxes everything, is a mystery.

Reactions: trusso

AdmiralKirk

macrumors newbie
Sep 9, 2022
Isn't the iPhone protection basically a VPN? I don't think antivirus apps are possible on iPhone due to sandboxing, so they essentially try and encrypt and protect your internet traffic instead?

Mark Stone

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2022
In its case.
Ive been using Norton on my windows pcs for centuries. They Norton include a license offer for iPhones now should I install it? is it safe without viruses to use a Norton product to protect an iPhone?
Eye Phones are secure, and if a crack in the armor is found Apple is extremely quick with security downloads. An antivirus is unnecessary.

Five_Oh

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2017
Flyover Country, USA
Your phone can be hacked, but largely only by nation state type actors. And Norton would do anything about these attacks anyway.

So, unless you are a journo, politician, CEO or other "whale", just be smart about where you visit and don't worry about it.

Reactions: Mark Stone
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.