Do I need ORIGINAL Mac OS X Disc after Windows Installation?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by bpez9197, Jun 9, 2010.

1. bpez9197 macrumors newbie

So I just finished installing Windows 7 on my MPB and I need to install Mac drives but I realize my Mac OS X Disc is in my college storage (Illinois) I'm in NY. Is it possible to download files from a torrent (putting it on a DVD etc..) or should I just call apple to get new one?

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

3. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

You can buy or borrow Snow Leopard if you are running it

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Isn't that just an updater for Boot Camp 3.0?

Yup. Find anyone where you are who has a retail Snow Leopard disc and borrow that. Note that the Boot Camp drivers are on a separate partition on the CD so just getting a torrent of an OS X install disc won't usually get you the drivers. They are not hard to find, but do you really want to trust some random source for key drivers for your Mac?

B

5. bpez9197 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you all, I'm running Leopard 10.5.8 so I am guessing the same applies. I'm going to try this now. Quick question, if I download the Boot Camp upgrade will I need to reinstall windows again?

6. Bill Gates macrumors 68020

Bill Gates

Correct. He will need to either use the Leopard drivers temporarily or find a Snow Leopard retail disc or Snow Leopard disc that came with someone else's Mac, which will also work.

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Personally, I think the $29 SL upgrade is worth it, if just for the updated Boot Camp drivers...

I know there was a link somewhere that described pulling individual drivers out of Apple's installers...

B