Do I need OS 9?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by macnb, Feb 11, 2008.

1. macnb macrumors newbie

Hello. Mac noob here.

I have an iBook G3 (dual USB, 10GB hard drive, 576 MB RAM), running OS X (10.1.5), and am in the process of trimming the contents of the hard drive.

I’ve been wondering: Do I need OS 9 (and its apps)?

I know that OS 9 is needed to run older apps on OS X, but is it a must-have for OS X version 10.1.5 to run (properly, these days)?

If anyone has any tips on trimming the OS, please, do share them.:D

Note: I do not have any install discs, nor do I plan on upgrading the OS.

2. bartelby macrumors Core

If you don't know if you need it, I doubt you do.

By sticking to 10.1.5 you may limit yourself or give yourself a hard time finding older versions of Apps to run on it.

What's the usage plan for the ibook?

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

While you don't "need" OS9, there are some apps that only run in OS9 that are a lot of fun.

I suggest that you upgrade the OS to Tiger or Panther, and replace the HD or get an external firewire drive.

TEG

4. Virgil-TB2 macrumors 65816

Virgil-TB2

You don't need it at all unless you want to run old apps. OS-9 should run "inside" 10.1 in emulation.

That being said, OS-9 is a much better, more useful and more stable OS than OS 10.1. If you only have those two choices I would pick OS-9.

Panther, or 10.3, is the first stable, useful version of OS-X that's worth using for anything other than an experiment IMO.

5. DesignerOnMac macrumors 6502a

DesignerOnMac

Huh????

I find that OS X is MUCH MORE STABLE and FASTER than ANY version of OS 9! Glad it is disappearing! (But everyones experiences differ....)

6. macnb thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the replies.

@bartleby: I am aware of what you said, and am sure I can cope. As for my usage plan: Typing, Internet...nothing special. It seems to already handle this stuff pretty well. I just want to trim HD space.

Btw: Nice sig. I'm like that, to an extent.:)

@TEG: What apps do you consider fun? (I'm not being sarcastic.)

As I said in my first post: I don't plan on upgrading the OS.

I don't need to have the latest OS version, or another HD (right now). The iBook isn't my only computer.:)

@Virgil-TB2: I'm just curious: What (exactly) is unstable about 10.1.5?

7. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

SimCity 2000, Iago, Escape Velocity (not Nova, Nova runs in OS X). I do seriously suggest upgrading the OS, as 10.1.5 is very old and ineffecient. Even going to 10.2 will increase the speed. 10.1 was quite unrefined and bloated. By 10.2 the system was streamlined.

TEG

8. macnb thread starter macrumors newbie

Even if I wanted to upgrade: I don't have the money for it.:)

Thanks for the replies and info, everyone.