Do I need Push on if...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuzion11, Oct 28, 2011.

1. fuzion11, Oct 28, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011

fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

I'm trying to consume less battery life so I have a couple of questions...

1. Do you need Push on for findmyiphone to work properly...or will fetch do the trick. I've tried it out and fetch seems fine, just like a little confirmation on that one.

2. Under wifi settings it says it helps make location based services more accurate...does this only happen when you're CONNECTED to a wifi network? Or does it increase accuracy when you are just driving by a wifi network and don't even connect to it? I only connect to one network, so if you need to be connected for accuracy to increase I could probably just live without it, as I don't need directions when I'm at work.

3. I turned off iADS, diagnostic reports and time zone settings...but kept the rest of the enabled, such as compass calibration and cell tower search...Do I really need the compass and tower search on if my compass has already been calibrated doing the figure 8 motion?

That's all I can think of for now...any suggestions are appreciated.

2. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Well I turned off push..so far so good...haven't noticed any saved battery yet though.

3. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Does your battery not last you through the day?

4. ShionoyaTamaki macrumors 6502

Push will get you your email as soon as it is available.
    Fetch will get it on a set interval you configure.

Usually push will drain very little resource. However, if you get a constant stream of email all day, fetch will less straining on battery life.

Apple crowd sourcing technology with wifi to help locate faster. For example if other people use a hotpot like at starbucks it can store GPS location for future use. So when you come along near that hotspot the location is found faster or when GPS is not available etc.

I left cell network and compass location service on. I am assuming it helps speed up finding your current location via GPS instead of starting from scratch.

5. fuzion11 thread starter macrumors 65816

fuzion11

Yes I left compass cal and cell network on too, also traffic...I turned off all the rest, especially time zone support, as I read this drains the batt quickly.

Also another tip for you guys...go into mail, contacts, calenders and scroll to the bottom and turn off timezone support in there too.