Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cleung

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Hong Kong
My old unlocked 2G iphone is on software version 2.1. I just got a new 3G iphone which is on 2.2. Do both phones need to be on the same software, i.e. 2.2, for me to be able to restore data from my old phone? Would I need to update my old 2g phone first? Thanks.

cleung

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 11, 2006
Hong Kong
Correct, when you restore, iTunes asks you if you are sure you want to restore the iPhone to factory settings and delete all data and to update the iPhone firmware. The only time it doesn't ask you this is if your iPhone is in recovery mode.

David

Thanks. I've done the restore once but had the same firmware. The reason why I'm asking is because my 2G phone was unlocked using pwnage and I'm not sure I want to upgrade to 2.2 yet. So sorry for one other silly question... if I plug the new 3G iphone in with 2.2 and I ask it to restore from my backup which has 2.1, will I end up with 2.1 firmware on the 3G? I'm in Hong Kong so the 3G phone is actually a legitimately unlocked phone. If it goes back to 2.1 then I can just update the firmware on iTunes, right?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.