DO I NEED SEPARATE security on my wireless router

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by VanessasBuddy, Aug 14, 2009.

1. VanessasBuddy macrumors newbie

I just set up a Linsky's Wireless Broadband router (WRT54G). When it asked whether I wanted security (either WEP or ?) I hit "no" because I think my computer's XP security (my I-Touch's home base) as well as my own anti-virus security is enough. Is that true?

2. sjleworthy macrumors 65816

sjleworthy

it's always wise to encrypt the signal else anyone within range can easily (and accidentally) piggy back your internet. this is different than normal modem firewalls and virus security.

most peeps recommend the highest security around. this isn't always needed. personally, i say take a look at your circumstances and go from there. the people in my neighbourhood aint too techie savvie, so i only use a mac filter system.

3. musr macrumors newbie

An open network also leaves you vulnerable to:

Sniffing which would make your unencrypted information (including logins and passwords) over the internet very easy to collect and puts encrypted information at risk.

Brute force attempts to enter your system which would normally be blocked by an appropriately configured router.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

This is a different type of security.

The way you have it set up, I can pull up outside your house and join your network, capturing everything you send, e.g. passwords, bank transactions, emails; because you have no security between the computer and the router.

5. VanessasBuddy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

I hope it's not too late! Only problem is that I don't know how to get back into my router to re-configure it for WPA.

Thanks to all of you for the help.

6. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If it's a linksys router, you probably access the settings buy typing http://192.168.1.1/ into your browser.

7. VanessasBuddy thread starter macrumors newbie

I did it!

Thanks. I re-set the configuration through the wizard that was on the Linsky DVD. It's done.

8. g2tegg macrumors member

No need to run the cd that came with it. Enter this ip address in your web browser. 192.168.1.1
    I get mixed up between dlink and linksys but I belive the user name and password are both admin. If the spear work try admin and public. It will be one of those combinations.
    Once your into the router, click on wireless and then security. You might have to turn on manual encryption if it's a newer linksys.
    Hope that helps. If you still can't get passed the first screen reset your router by simply pushing the tip of a pen in the reset hole. Press firmly for up to 10 seconds while keeping a eye on the front of the router. Once the status light goes out release the pen and your passwords are back to default.

9. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

If I remember correctly, for linksys the username is blank and the default password is admin.