Do I need Snow Leopard to install Bootcamp 3.0?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by fluidedge, Sep 20, 2009.

1. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

I find myself using Mac OS X Leopard less and less and windows almost all the time these days and on the occasion that I need leopard i find it suits me fine. I want to be as up to date with boot camp as possible but don't want to upgrade to snow leopard (I need the current version of Quicktime for my video editing software so cant risk going to QT-X) so can i install Bootcamp 3.0 without installing SL?

I really want to be able to read my Mac drives (I need my itunes!!) from Windows.

2. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

You have to log into windows, insert the Snow Leopard DVD and run an installer to update to Bootcamp 3.0.

If there's another way...I don't know.

3. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

thats fine. I'm happy to buy the disk, i just don't know if i need SL installed first or if i can just run it with Leopard installed.

4. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

You can use it without an installed version of OS X - Windows can be the only installed operating system on your Mac. After all, Boot Camp is just a collection of drivers for Windows.

5. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Which means you could even use the Boot Camp drivers on a PC to obtain the ability to read HFS+ formatted drives. Very convenient when dealing with iPods formatted for Mac, or in case you want to get something off your backup drive.

6. kate-willbury macrumors 6502a

hilarious. i actually boot into windows 7 more often than snow leopard now too.

7. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

I've actually read a lot of people do this. Just leave a small OS X partition (for firmware updates or whatnot) and leave the rest for Windows. But yes OP, you do need the Snow Leopard DVD to install Boot Camp 3.0.

8. 10THzMac macrumors 6502

I am running a Macbook with Leopard and XP+SP3. I ran the bootcamp 2 installer to start off and then later realized I could not find my Leopard disk to complete the driver install under Windows. So I shoved in the SL disk and loaded the 3.0 Windows files. All well and Mac disks visible under XP. So this is "Bootcamp 2.5" on average.

9. fluidedge thread starter macrumors 65816

fluidedge

why don't apple make the bootcamp 3.0 files available on their website like they do for bootcamp 2.x and 1.x?

10. Stridder44 macrumors 68040

Stridder44

Only the updates are available. Boot Camp itself is not.

11. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I'm sure if you PM someone they'd be happy to upload the updates for you ;)

12. Zorn macrumors 6502a

Zorn

Let me save you a bunch of hassle - when installing Snow Leopard, click the Customize button during installation and check the box next to 'Quicktime 7', and it will install the previous version of Quicktime for you. You can use it instead of QT X if you wish. So go ahead and upgrade to Snow Leopard and don't worry about finding a Boot Camp workaround.