Do I need Snow Leopard to upgrade to Lion?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by thr2506, Jun 14, 2011.

1. thr2506 macrumors newbie

I currently have OS X Leopard on my iMac, wanting to upgrade to OS X Lion when it is released. It says on the Apple website that you must have OS X Snow Leopard in order to upgrade to Lion via the App Store. There really isn't any point in spending £25 on Snow Leopard and then a further £20 upgrading to Lion. Any way around this?

The other thing is, my friend has a retail version of OS X Snow Leopard. I've heard it's technically possible to install the retail version on multiple machines, but it's not legal due to licensing, which is fair enough.

Surely other people are having this problem? Or can you actually upgrade from Tiger and Leopard to Lion.

2. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

We can't know yet. Apple has stated that to upgrade on day one, you'll need the App Store. Apple also hasn't stated if they will or won't release a physical copy at some point. Most likely the physical copy won't require SL to be installed first, as none of Apple's previous OS install discs have such a requirement.

3. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

You need Snow Leopard to upgrade to Lion. Period.

4. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

And you know this how? Did Apple come out and say that when they release a physical medium install it will require it or that it will never be released outside the App Store? I am not aware that Apple has made any such statements.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

He knows that because apple stated that the only way to purchase Lion is through the app store and the only way to have the app store is with 10.6

Yes apple did come out and say its only going to be available through the Mac App Store.

6. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Also when upgrading to Snow Leopard for £20 you needed Leopard. Or pay the full price of about £120.

There should be no reason why Lion wont install on a Mac with the required hardware. It just might cost more than £20.99.

As for needing the App Store. At the moment you will need to to download it. You dont need the App Store to INSTAL Lion. Thats just rediculous.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No you don't. You can go directly from Tiger to SnowLeopard.

8. Fishrrman macrumors G4

"You need Snow Leopard to upgrade to Lion. Period."

Nope.

Let's just say this:
    One needs Snow Leopard to _legitimately_ follow the Apple-prescribed update path to Lion, at least on its first release date.

But if you're willing to pursue non-Apple-approved paths to obtain and install Lion, those pathways are available and they DO work (as they currently work with the developer previews). I am not recommending that you do so, just making you aware that "alternative pathways" are available.

As speculation, I believe that _many_ more folks will choose such alternate pathways in their quest for Lion.

The reason: Apple has chosen to arbitrarily restrict how Lion is to be distributed.

As always, "the market" will overcome such restrictions.

Just sayin'.....

9. ratzzo macrumors 6502a

ratzzo

Nope. Lion is a major OS release, independent from all other.

If you're more familiar with windows, think of it as Windows 7, which doesn't need anything else.

10. mjsmke macrumors 6502a

Thats what i said.... you just have to buy the full version. not the upgrade.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

No you don't the 29 dollar version works fine with Tiger to SL.

12. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

And if so, it will probably cost at least £45.

14. Gregg2 macrumors 603

You're making a distinction that Apple never made. The $29 disc is the full version, not an "upgrade"(sic). You actually meant an update, only for a price. So that would really be an upgrate. But since such a thing doesn't even exist, we don't have to worry about splitting hairs.

15. Tyr. macrumors member

Upgrade: no. You could buy Lion with your iTunes account on your friends mac, then use the app to make a bootdisk to do a clean install though. Not sure if this is permitted under the EULA, but who reads that anyway.

About the retail version thing, yes you can install on multiple macs without checks, this is frowned upon obviously :rolleyes:

16. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

No it hasn't. If you look at Apple's website, it very clearly states that to upgrade on day one, you'll need the Mac App Store. I doubt Apple would make that distinction if it wasn't going to change later on. Unless someone can show me where Apple has said "We will only offer Lion on the App Store, never on physical media" then I hold on to the (logical) idea that Apple will release it on physical media at some point. It only makes sense for Apple to do this.

17. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Exactly. You still need an emergency disk to boot from.

18. Icy1007 macrumors 6502a

Icy1007

Watch/Rewatch the WWDC '11 keynote. They say exactly that. That Lion will only be available exclusively through the App Store.

19. Cranch macrumors newbie

20. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

This is probably at its most important, not to mention convenient, when your HDD crashes and no data on it or any of its partitions are there anymore.

21. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

While it definitely works Apple has definitely strongly implied that only the Box Set is legitimate for Tiger systems.

e.g. http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC573Z/A?fnode=MTY1NDAzOA&mco=MTM3NDgwNzM

However, it's no worse than a Hackintosh or using Windows OEM license on your home machine... Practically impossible to enforce.

B

22. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Agreed, but does the EULA specifically forbids this, or just that the wording on the apple store site indicate that its for Leopard to Snow Leopard.

23. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

I believe the EULA specifically forbids it.

24. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Thanks guys,

I guess I should have RTFM :eek: before providing solutions or at least highlight what the EULA says about such actions.