Do I need "something else" to send a fax from MacBook 10.5.5

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DennisAlan, Feb 12, 2009.

1. DennisAlan macrumors newbie

DennisAlan

Hello. I connect to my Comcast Cable Modem via an Airport Express wireless network at home.

I want to send a fax from inside the computer, i.e. a Word file I will create or an email.

When I go to Printer/Fax inside System Preferences, I see my printer but not a modem.

1. Do I need a modem?

2. Do I need to connect a telephone cable to my MacBook Pro?

3. Do I need to buy/subscribe to a $40. service that enables me to fax from the computer?

2. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

What model MacBook do you have? Since nothing shows up in the fax preferences I'm guessing it's a recent, modem-less one. You will either need to purchase a USB modem or sign-up with a service such as eFax. If you decide to go the modem route, your system already has everything it needs to fax on it; it will simply appear as an additional printer once it's setup.

3. DennisAlan thread starter macrumors newbie

DennisAlan

I have a MacBook Pro 4,1 (according to About This Mac).

Will a USB modem work wirelessly for faxing?

4. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

You can only do this via a phone cable. Get a USB modem and connect your MacBook to the phone jack.

5. DennisAlan thread starter macrumors newbie

DennisAlan

I am in the midst of researching eFax-like services, which may be better for my needs that anything wired. Thanks to all.

6. dolphin842 macrumors 65816

dolphin842

I used MyFax for a while. It worked, and was only $10/mo. It took two e-mails to get them to cancel, but they ended up doing so and refunded what they erroneously charged me.