Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Galex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
Sweden
I am considering buying a 24" iMac, either new or slightly used if I can find any. I will use it as a TV monitor (together with Elgato's digital TV stick), a DVD player, a PVR (of TV content), maybe play some HD video stuff, do some movie editing in iMovie, manage my digital photos, possibly edit some scans and photos in Photoshop, handle my iTunes library, and surf the web of course, but I will probably not use it for gaming at all.

Will the standard graphics card of 128 MB be enough for my purposes or would you recommend the optional upgrade? I intend to go with the standard processor speed but 2 GB of RAM.

/Galex

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
If you go with the upgrade, I don't think you'll regret it. RAM and even the hard disk are relatively easily upgraded later on, but the graphics card is not. Having said that, the regular 128MB card would probably suffice. :)

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
Washington D.C
It doesn't sound like you'll use it...however it might make it last longer...when 10.6 comes out it will need even more GPU power, and that extra push from an upgrade card might be what makes the difference from getting those cool new piece of eye candy or no getting them

How long are you going to keep the Mac?

nurfen

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2007
People often say that they won't use it for gaming.. But when you buy a brand new computer, it's nice to know that it's possible to play games on it, at least ;)

I'd go with the "large" card, there's no need to try to save money when you buy a 24" iMac.

Allotriophagy

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2006
It is definitely one of the more cost-effective upgrades for the 24" iMac. But more importantly, you cannot add it on later so you may as well get it now.

cwedl

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2003
It is definitely one of the more cost-effective upgrades for the 24" iMac. But more importantly, you cannot add it on later so you may as well get it now.

I totally agree, however I don't play games etc, and I got the 128 card and have no regrets.

Galex

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 7, 2006
Sweden
Thanks for the swift replies! I intend to use this machine for at least 3 years so I guess 10.6 will happen within that timeframe. Since you all seem to agree that the upgrade is worthwile I will probably take that route.

/Galex

queshy

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2005
Yeah, I wish I could have gotten teh upgrade but after returning 2 imacs online and seeing what a pain it is, I have to buy from the retail store (no vram uggrades available there). If youre buying online I would get the upgrade...its cheap and worth it - mind you, if you dont plan to game, then meh....but its only 80 CAD $.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA

Thats not entirely true. A customer representative said that authorized resellers/repair centers have a part # for the 7600gt graphics card. It's just calling the right ones to get them to do business with you is the hard part.

Cuz I mean think about it, they gotta replace them with something especially when there's some warranty work.

tpjunkie

macrumors 65816
Nov 24, 2002
NYC
Yes, and that part number is for a new motherboard with the upgraded memory card. The GPU in the iMac is part of the main logic board. It cannot be replaced without a logic board replacement, which will generally run you in the 700-850 $US range.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Considering the cost, I wouldn't hestitate at all, it is the first upgrade worth considering. To me it's a no brainer. RAM you can always add, even external storage space. Get the 7600GT.

nateDEEZY

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2007
San Francisco, CA
Yes, and that part number is for a new motherboard with the upgraded memory card. The GPU in the iMac is part of the main logic board. It cannot be replaced without a logic board replacement, which will generally run you in the 700-850 $US range.

Actually no, it's not with the main logic board. Definitely not on the 24" iMac, which has a removable graphics card thanks to MXM.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.