Do I need the cooler? (upgrade Sawtooth with QS processor)

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Eugen Mezei, Sep 24, 2015.

1. Eugen Mezei macrumors member

My Sawtooth 400 MHz is pretty lame. (RAM maxed out, video will follow with an upgrade.)
    I could get a 900 MHz processor from a Quicksilver, but the seller has only the processor board, without the aluminium cooler. Can I reuse the cooler I have in Sawtooth with the new processor?

2. 128keaton macrumors 68020

128keaton

I didn't think that the Sawtooth CPUs <-> QuickSilver CPUs, is this true? I'm using my QS 733MHz heatsink on my 933MHz, seemingly without issues. Mine covers roughly the whole daughterboard and sticks up about an inch and a half.

3. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

QS CPUs will work in any G4 from the Sawtooth to the Quicksilver. The Yikes! needs a ZIF processor, and MDDs are a totally different beast.

The key difference between them is that QSs have a fourth screw hole whose primary function is to supply +12V to the daughter card. You can easily get around this by soldering or otherwise affixing a wire to the daughter card and running it to any convenient +12V tap.

Also be aware that due to bus speed differences, a factory 933mhz QS processor will run at 700mhz.

I'd strongly suggest a cooler fan-even the 667mhz G4 Digital Audio had one. I'm not sure where a good place to put one would be in a Sawtooth-perhaps strapped/bolted on to the side of the heatink.

With an additional fan, the stock heatsink is more than likely fine. The same basic design(admittedly extended somewhat) handled a dual 500 without issue.

4. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

I'm not sure about that. I know they won't work in the cube, but the qs and sawtooth have different logic board layouts. The actual connector is the same, but the cpu board hangs off to one side or the other. Compare these two cards:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

See how the card hangs off the other direction. I have not personally tried this, but looking at pictures of sawtooth logic board looks like a qs card would hit the ide connector? The small square cards (oem single cpu and most aftermarked upgrades) can fit either logic board. There's actually quite a few upgrade cpus on fleabay right now.

This was also sort of discussed here: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/powermac-g4-sawtooth-cpu-upgrade.1863290/

and I'm sure some searching would turn up exactly what you're looking for.

I guess my point is, do some research before spending money.

5. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

Actually, looking at that other thread, the cpu card sort of fits:

"Nope, I just cut off the top peice of the connector and basically jammed the CPU on. But its fully screwed in, the CPU board is *Slightly* warped (more curved than warped) but it runs. "

I'm not sure what he did for a heatsink. If you're going to spend money, I'd look for something like these:

www.ebay.com/itm/262063107005
    www.ebay.com/itm/262002545550
    www.ebay.com/itm/261996243718

But if you can get the 900MHz card for cheap/free and don't mind soldering and tinkering with cooling, then go for it.

6. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

Fair enough, although bear in mind that a dual CPU card is considerably larger than a single CPU card.

I have put both DA and QS cards in my Sawtooth, although always single CPU cards and not duals.

Many aftermarket CPUs are designed to work in either.

The Cube is a special case, as you need to pay attention to both power draw and physical size of the CPU. A single CPU card from a Sawtooth-and probably a DA-will fit a Cube but is a bad idea.

7. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

Out of curiosity I've been looking at pictures of g4 cpu cards on fleabay. Wouldn't all qs cards have the same fit problem because of the 12v 4th screw hole? All cards (dingle or dual) from a qs would have the wide shape to get that 4th screw, right? When you tried qs card(s) in your sawtooth did they fit easily?

8. flyrod macrumors 6502

flyrod

This could be the cpu that the op is talking about:

[​IMG]

It's a single 867MHz from a qs.

9. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

In all honesty, I don't recall. Give me until Monday and I'll check.

10. Eugen Mezei thread starter macrumors member

I'm aware of the need to unsolder the IDE connector, I wanted to know only if the aluminium cooler would fit, as the processor offered to me comes without it.

11. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The heatsinks are not compatible between the two CPUs.