Do I need the extra ram?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by gadgetgirl85, Feb 1, 2008.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I currently ordered a white macbook with 2GB ram which is on its way. Would another 2GB of ram make much of a difference?

2. Baba Ganoush macrumors member

I have 2GB in my MBP and it runs like a dream. But if you think you will want 4 its up to you. What do you plan on doing on the macbook?

3. djinn macrumors 68000

djinn

Do you plan on running Virtual machines, do you plan on having tons of Apps open? If you have the extra cash it won't hurt to upgrade, but sometimes it isn't really needed.

4. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

Nothing really too intense I don't think. Uni assignments, itunes. surfing, perhaps a bit of graphics but thats about it

5. Baba Ganoush macrumors member

2 gigs of ram will be plenty to do that, but 4gb will future proof it. The choice is yours. :)

6. scienide09 macrumors 65816

scienide09

With RAM, the more the merrier. More RAM will definitely give you a performance boost. Whether or not you'll take advantage of it given the tasks you described is a separate issue.

7. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

You should be fine with 2GB. It'll probably be a while before you notice it being bogged down by a lack of RAM, and by that stage, 4GB DIMMs will be dirt cheap :)