Do i need the extra VRAM, Please help.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by hodgey1989, Jun 8, 2009.

1. hodgey1989 macrumors member

Right, before the updates today i was going to buy the mid-range 15" MBP which i think had 512VRAM and not sure what processor (maybe 2.53).

Now after the update, great its £200 cheaper with a slightly faster processor but 256MB less VRAM.

Ill be using this at university as i study a graphic design degree. This will obviously have me using photoshop, illustrator ect, along with occasionally using After Effects. I will also be using it for internet browsing and using Handbrake for ripping dvds. I hope that it would last me the length of my course (4 years).
    Also forgot to mention that i wouldnt use it to play games.

My question is, will i benefit from paying a bit more for the extra 256MB VRAM or shall i just pocket the £200 and put it towards some accessories like a bag ect.

Any help is much appreciated :)

2. pdxflint macrumors 68020

pdxflint

I'm sure a lot of folks will disagree with me, but I think you'll be just fine with 256mb vRAM. Get the newer model, but remember you'll lose the expresscard slot... which might not matter to you if you don't already have any peripherals.

Max out your RAM after you get your MBP, or at least bump it to 4gig RAM. And have fun. I wish I could be going back and re-living my college years with a spanking new MBP... ;)

3. Jethryn Freyman macrumors 68020

Jethryn Freyman

No, it's not really needed. Make sure you get at least 4GB of RAM, though.

4. hodgey1989 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks fro the advice.

Would it be worth spending some of that money saved on a 7200rpm drive, or again will this now massively benefit me with what i will use it for?

5. Peikko macrumors newbie

If you don't plan on using the machine for gaming you should be fine with just 256 VRAM. As for the HDD, I think I've seen others state that 7200rpm would be quite useful for video editing, if that interests you. The system RAM upgrade is a definite, though.