Do I need the family pack upgrade if i have 2 macs?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by onebitrocket, Feb 9, 2010.

1. onebitrocket macrumors member

Hi,

I'm looking to upgrade to snow leopard but I'm wondering if i really need to shell out for the family pack or would the single version be sufficient for both my macs.

Thanks

2. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

If I remember correctly, you can install it on an iMac or Mac Pro AND an Apple Laptop, provided you own both of them and do not use both at the same time. So it seems it would depend on what Macs you have, and how they are used.

3. scottness macrumors 65816

scottness

The family pack is the RIGHT thing to get... but nobody's stopping you.

I got the family pack.

4. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Ummm so let me guess. You based your answer on nothing more than what you think paying zero attention to something called an EULA? Yeah. Install it on 30 machines and no one will stop you but as the poster above said, buying the family pack is the right thing to do. And come on, the family pack is less than the cost of a year of MobileMe. :rolleyes:

5. pit29 macrumors 6502a

pit29

Well, I really thought you can install it on a desktop and laptop, provided you're the only user. But I reread the EULA, and, of course, you're right, jessica.

Actually, you can legally install Aperture on a desktop and a laptop under some circumstances (see http://images.apple.com/legal/sla/docs/aperture.pdf). That's why I thought the same holds true for OS X. But, to make the point again, OS X's EULA is different and allows only installation on one computer.

I'll be more careful with my memory the next time...

6. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Your choice. It's an ethical one.

Look at it this way: If someone leaves a bicycle next to a lamppost with no lock, is taking that bike stealing?

Locks keep people honest. No lock, some otherwise honest people will be sorely tempted, and falter, others won't.

7. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

Legally you should buy the family pack; however, the single user edition will install on as many machines as you throw it at. Remember the family pack is for up to 5 computers, so you would be 'wasting' the other three, but buying the single user edition would mean the many judgemental people on MR flaming you!

Apple are quite trusting when it comes to software, iLife and iWork are similar to SL in terms of the lack of serial number activation. I bought a Mac after SL was announced but not released and got the £8 upgrade. Even that will install on any 10.5 Mac (so I hear... I always pay full price for my software... yes...)

Just do what ever you want!

8. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Aperture confused me on that too. Honestly and as it was said, you can do it and no one would know but the price of the family pack is just too good to not pay. Unlike previous OS versions this is real affordable.

9. chrismacguy macrumors 68000

*agrees* - I have actually got both versions of 10.6 - while the media is the same its an ethical choice (I have 6 Macs with 10.6 on - My parents both have a desktop and a laptop, My sister has her MacBook and I have mine :D

10. Gregg2 macrumors 603

That's a hoot! There are plenty of "judgmental people" wearing black robes and sitting in front of a courtroom.

11. pMad macrumors regular

But that's really not the same.

Look at it this way:

If you buy a CD to play in your home CD player, should you really have to buy another for your car and a third for your computer?
    Should your wife have to buy a different one if she wants to listen in her car?

Software should be the same. I agree that a business should have to buy multiple licenses, but having an individual buy multiple license because he has a desktop and a laptop is just ridiculous.

I follow it because it's the law, but it certainly is NOT the "right thing to do".
    The ones being "unethical" here are the software companies - not the individual, IMHO.

12. belvdr macrumors 603

Yes, taking it is stealing. Do you own it (either by purchasing it or as a gift)? Just because it's not locked does not imply transfer of ownership.

What if you want to listen to the CD in both vehicles at the same time (same as running the same copy of OS X at the same time)?

It's not unethical for the software companies to ask for more. They are in business to make money. If you don't like their terms, don't buy their software.

13. Gregg2 macrumors 603

Stereo? It would be difficult to sync. Presumably, you'd have to do that while both cars are stationary. ;)

14. pMad macrumors regular

The OP wanted to use it on both of his macs.

The second post said, "If I remember correctly, you can install it on an iMac or Mac Pro AND an Apple Laptop, provided you own both of them and do not use both at the same time." which seems more than reasonable IMHO.

They were then chastised about the EULA.

Then they were compared to bicycle thieves.

Why shouldn't I be able to install software I bought on multiple computers I bought for my own personal (and family) use as long as they are not being used simultaneously?

Compared to bicycle thieves :rolleyes: Seriously?

Stealing something that does not belong to you is not the same as using something which you did purchase on multiple devices.

15. belvdr macrumors 603

It's something called licensing which is dictated by the vendor. Don't like it, don't buy it. It's really simple.

16. tallguy macrumors regular

As soon as I spotted the title of this thread I knew there was going to be at least one argument about legal issues. Never fails.

To the OP, just buy the single version. Everything will be fine.

17. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

Fair point, I think you can judge how extortionate a price is by how complicated they make the activation processes. And still people try and nick them.

Mentioning no names.... <cough cough splutteradobewheeze splutter>.

18. nigameash macrumors 6502

Unlike msft, apple doesnt have any activation ********. So if u get the single user pack, apple will never know. But again apple's softwares are so cheap compared to msft's windows 7 prices so you should buy the family pack ;) It aint expensive

19. Denarius macrumors 6502a

Denarius

It does say a lot that everyone I know is very honest about buying Apple Software. Very clever of them really: you're stuck with the hardware prices.

20. mslide macrumors 6502a

Most people I know are not honest when it comes to things like this :) These types of threads are always the same. There are lots who say to "do the right thing" and follow the EULA and fewer who claim they just do whatever they want. I'd bet anything that if it were possible to get a true, honest poll from every single person who ever purchased OSX that you'd find that the great majority simply buy the single user version and install it on every mac they have.

21. pMad macrumors regular

I understand licensing - and it is unfair, but everyday consumers do not have lobbyists. Such is life.

And while I don't have to buy it, to compare it to stealing a bike on the street and calling people unethical is a bit asinine.

EULA's are completely one-sided.

"Borrowing" a friends copy - yes, unethical
    Downloading a pirated copy - yes, unethical
    Buying it and installing it on two machines you own - nothing unethical about it.

22. belvdr macrumors 603

So is the beauty of ethics. They are very subjective.

23. Gregg2 macrumors 603

So click the "I Don't Agree" button.
    Dilemma solved.

24. Winni macrumors 68030

Winni

Some people on these forums keep repeating the nonsense that Apple makes only money with their hardware, so the question should be: Why do you have to pay for the software at all? After all, Apple is only in the hardware business, so they should give away their software for free, right?

But to give you a serious answer:

If you use the software professionally, meaning: For business and not for private purposes, you have to purchase TWO retail boxes (I'm talking about the 29 bucks box), one for each machine.

If you only use the software for private purposes, then you should just buy the Family Pack for the two machines.

Of course, TECHNICALLY, buying one retail box will also work, but you would be pirating a copy.

25. pMad macrumors regular

Yes, because running a computer without software is always on option. :rolleyes: