Do I need the hard drive caddy?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by HannaJ, Jun 17, 2011.

1. HannaJ macrumors newbie

I just changed my Macbook hard drive today, and since I didn't have the correct screwdriver to extract the caddy from my old drive, I just slid the new one right in. It seems to be working fine (I'm typing on the Macbook right now...) so my question is: what is the purpose of the caddy? Am I risking having my hard drive wiggle loose whilst I'm working? Should I go back and get the right screwdriver so I can put the new hard drive in the caddy, or not bother?

So annoyed that Apple's instructions didn't mention it.

Any advice much appreciated!

Hanna

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Yes. Get the correct screwdriver and get back in there. Harddrives don't like to be banged around or excess vibration. The caddy is there to help prevent those things.

3. logana macrumors 65816

logana

If it is the white/black non-unibody MacBook (A1181) then the main reason for the caddy is to be able to pull the drive back out.....

Without the caddy you will be taking the topcase off to get the drive out - unless you have attached something to the new drive to pull it out with.

Normally pliers will turn the T8 screws that hold the caddy in place - but buy a T8 screwdriver...