Do I Need the High End 15"? GPU difference...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SamIchi, Mar 5, 2011.

1. SamIchi, Mar 5, 2011
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2011

SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

I don't game but I do use solid modeling and surface modeling software. I also use Photoshop, Illustrator, and Indesign intensively.

Right now I got a non unibody 2.4GHz C2D white Macbook, it can handle my stuff, but it does get annoying after I get into more intense stuff.

So what do you guys think? From what I've read on this forum the vram effects 3-d stuff... but still unsure what exactly that means. Mayb someone could elaborate more on this topic? I'm getting mixed messages reading through the forums. People say the graphics are crippled, but if it's for handling 3d stuff, why would it matter to most people?

Oh and I use Photoshop for drawing, which has OpenCL? I believe, for rotate images and what not, does this affect it? Drawing on a tablet with PS on an external monitor is not doable, and the strokes lag way too much, let alone using the opencl(still don't know exactly what that is) to rotate.

Soo how much does it affect;
    Video play back?
    External monitor usage?
    3d modeling?
    Photoshop/Indesign/Illustrator?

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Well, the low-end 15" would probably be sufficient and get the work done but high-end should complete the task faster. If you have the $, then I would go for it. You can't upgrade the GPU so paying a bit more now and not needing it that much is better than having an urgent need for it and being sorry afterwards.

3. toxic macrumors 68000

PS does not support OpenCL. it's graphics usage is very limited and doesn't exceed the capabilities of an integrated GPU.

which model you should go with depends on what you do with your 3D software and what it is. look up what others who use that software are getting for their graphics.

4. polkunus macrumors member

It would barely effect anything but 3D modeling and gaming, (and maybe some After Effects or media editing)

For me it increased Render times in Maya/C4D and ran it a bit smoother.

Games' FPS rose a noticeable amount.

5. SamIchi thread starter macrumors 68030

SamIchi

Thanks for the replies.

Anyone run SolidWorks, Rhino, Sketchup, 3ds, Alias, keyshot? Maybe I can get some input on these specifically.