iPad mini Do I need the iPad Mini?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Sagnet, May 3, 2013.

1. Sagnet macrumors member

Hi! This is what we call a "luxury problem" where I live. The thing is: I have an iPhone 5 through my job. Last Christmas I bought an iPad 4 (64GB WiFi only). Yesterday I won an iPad Mini (32 GB WiFi only) in a contest. Where am I gonna use the Mini where I can't use my phone or the 4?

If the Mini was the cellular version, it would be great for surfing on the go. But since I need WiFi, the use is a lot more restricted. Should I just sell the Mini, or can it fill some "holes" in my phone/tablet habits, even without cellular?

2. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

You can tether with your iPhone to get Internet connection.

3. Sagnet thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm aware of that option. Still that means I have to spend time setting up tethering everytime I'm on the subway, etc. And it drains the batteries of my phone (and makes it go really warm!). So it has a couple of drawbacks compared to a cellular iPad.

4. AdamPhamVN macrumors newbie

Probably not. There's too many devices for you to handle. Unless, you leave your iPad at your coach for morning/after-work entertainment and iPad Mini below your pillow for just some night eBook reading (since the iPad Mini is as light as a book). Or you can just give it to your children/wife/parents.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

It sounds like you don't need an iPad mini. I would sell it off or if you love the form factor, sell the iPad 4.

6. TyPod macrumors 68000

TyPod

Agreed. If you have to ask if you need it, odds are you don't. Sell it.

7. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

For me, it comes down to what I use each device for. The mini fits into my life as my ereader and my video player. It's also a nice browsing device when I'm lounging around. In your case, I see no need for two iPads. The question Id have if I were in your shoes is whether to keep the 4 or the mini.

8. madsci954 macrumors 68030

I would pick either the iPad or the iPad Mini, whichever you like and use more. Then, sell the other, or give it to someone you know who would want it.

9. Internaut macrumors 6502a

A small format tablet is always going to be a better compromise than a phone for some tasks; notably anything involving web surfing. Question is, do you want it? Are there going to be in situations where it is more convenient to have a smaller format tablet with you? Only you can answer that.

10. tazz3 macrumors regular

congrats on wining the mini. you have the ipad4 whch is killer.
    sell the mini iam sure you can get over 300 for it

11. zachlegomaniac macrumors 6502a

zachlegomaniac

Sell it and go for a nice dinner or give the money to a cool charity (or both). Test drive it a little first and see if you like it better than the 4.

12. srsub3 macrumors 6502

srsub3

13. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Why not see if you use your Mini or 4 more, then sell the other one.

14. abz1981 macrumors 65816

If you don't want to sell or it keep it. I will take it from you if you want. I will pay for postage and package.

15. Sagnet thread starter macrumors member

I decided to do just that. :) So the box is now opened, and the Mini is all set up the way I want. Boy, it really is a lot lighter to hold and use, than the 4! The next weeks will tell if both iPads will get enough laptime to justify not being sold off.

16. princebig7 macrumors member

how do you tether from your iphone to your ipad (new ipad owner)?

17. Sagnet thread starter macrumors member

Noted, I'll keep that as an option on my list. ;)

18. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Do you have a family or kids? Give to them your mini. :apple: