Do I need the NoScript Firefox extension?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MrMinor, Oct 31, 2008.

1. MrMinor macrumors 6502

I will be buying my first Mac shortly. I know that viruses are not an issue, but I have heard that does not mean you can just let your guard down.

I have been using the NoScript extension on my PC for a few years now. I only let scripts in from sites I trust. Should I be doing the same thing when I get my Mac?

2. riscy macrumors 6502a

riscy

I use it all the time and love it, is it needed? I would say it is essential (on any computer) as it stops pop-ups, ads on pages etc, basically lots of things you never want to see, and if you do want to view them eg youtube video you just allow only that.

Excellent add-on, as you doubtless know.

3. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

4. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

I much prefer adblock plus to noscript. Adblock is much less intrusive -- it just sits quietly in the background doing its job. Noscript interferes with almost everything. Macs tend to have fewer problems with viruses compared to PCs, so that's really not so much of an issue.

5. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

Adblock just blocks ads though doesn't it? Can't scripts be things other than ads?

6. wordmunger macrumors 603

wordmunger

Yes they can. Personally I've had no problems with anything other than ads, so AdBlock does the trick for me. I just find NoScript too intrusive -- it affects EVERYTHING.

But you can just try both add-ons and see which one you prefer. One possibility might be to install both of them, use Adblock for ads, deactivate NoScript but then manually activate NoScript for individual pages that give you trouble.

7. MrMinor thread starter macrumors 6502

That is exactly how I do it on my PC right now so that will be something I am used to. Thanks!