Do I need these duplicated songs?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by JakobAloudMadge, Jul 19, 2013.

1. JakobAloudMadge macrumors newbie

I download music from random sites when the album in question hasn't been released in the U.S., and when it's done downloading, I click and drag the songs into iTunes, put artwork onto it (or replace it if the artwork that was in the downloaded file is bad quality), and I'm all good. BUT, I noticed just now that my computer is apparently saving each song twice: the song I downloaded, and that same song in iTunes. A screenshot that I'm attaching to this shows what I mean, and I'll embarrass myself by revealing that I have a cheryl cole album in order to get to the bottom of this.

There are two copies of each track as you can see: One is greenish tinted and the other is gray. The greenish copies came straight from the zip I downloaded, and the gray is the same song file, but I deleted the green artwork in iTunes and replaced it with the properly colored cover.

I don't know if this is related, but when I was first transfering my music a few weeks ago, some of the songs in iTunes had an exclamation point and wouldn't play because iTunes couldn't find the source of the songs on my computer, so I had to find the folder of the songs on my desktop and drag it back into iTunes.

I'm sorry if I don't make sense, but I really need to clear up some space. Do I need these duplicated songs? Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

How is your itunes set up (in its settings)? iTunes natively is set to make copies of songs you open in iTunes. These are in the music > itunes library folder.

If you are to delete any, delete the originals, not the iTunes copies.

3. JakobAloudMadge thread starter macrumors newbie