Do I need Thunderbolt 2 for a HDD Enclosure and 2560x1440 Display?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Sirc, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Sirc macrumors newbie

I just bought my 5k iMac and I'm looking at getting a 2 bay Thudnerbolt enclosure to put a BootCamp SSD and a storage HDD in.

Currently I am using a 2560x1440 display on that port, but with an SATA 3 SSD and the display will I have any need to buy a Thunderbolt 2 enclosure or will I be ok with "plain old" Thunderbolt 1?

I don't do any video editing, and the main reason for the drives will be to boot to Windows for 1 or 2 games and Time Machine backup. From what I've read is Thunderbolt 2 is mainly for editing 4k video and driving a display, which I will never do.

I haven't been able to find a 2 bay Thunderbolt 2 enclosure and I will never need a 4 bay one, so I'd rather save the money if possible. Will I have any issues with just a Thunderbolt 1 enclosure?

2. jdphoto macrumors 6502

jdphoto

You should be fine the Thunderbolt 1 enclosure. I have a Late 2013 iMac and am powering a Thunderbolt Display & Thunderbolt 1 RAID array through the same Thunderbolt port (iMac -> HD Array -> Screen). I get great speed off the array (greater than 300MB/s) and the display works beautifully.

3. Sirc thread starter macrumors newbie

So I picked up an OWC Mercury Elite Pro Dual and installed a SATA 3 SSD in it with a 1TB WD Green drive.

I'm also getting speeds around 300MB/sec. The Thunderbolt enclosures are rated up to around 500MB/sec for single drive, I understand there's some overhead but only 300MB/sec seems low doesn't it?

4. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

On this page http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/Thunderbolt/External-Drive/OWC/Elite-Dual-RAID

it quotes speeds up to 442MB/sec, which would be the maximum speed of two SSDs in RAID 0... these enclosures are not as fast as the Thunderbay 4s.

5. Sirc thread starter macrumors newbie

That's unfortunate considering the store I bought it from listed performance up to 1250MB/sec over Thunderbolt, which I would think is RAID 0.

Perhaps I should contact them and OWC for clarification.

6. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

1250MB/sec is the THEORETICAL maximum of Thunderbolt, it's the same as hard drive manufacturers quoting 6 Gbps maximum when hard drives can't get anywhere near that fast.