Do I need TNT to get rid of a disc image?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skiff, Nov 1, 2008.

1. skiff macrumors member

I am frustrated to death. I downloaded Camino 1.6.4 from the Internet which deposited a disc image on my screen. Double clicking the disc image resulted in a window with the Camino icon, ReadMe.rtf, and Release Notes.rtf. I then dropped the icon in my Application Folder which presumably installed Camino. I then dragged the icon to my dock and was ready for business. Everything worked beautifully except that I can't get rid of that damned window (with the 3 items) and the disc image. No matter what I do — ejecting, for instance — these items come back to clog up my screen as soon as I click on the Camino icon.

How do I send this stuff into orbit?

2. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Are you positive you did not accidentally drag the Camino icon from the .dmg window to the dock rather than dragging the Camino icon from your Applications folder as would be correct?

If you did happen to drag it from the .dmg file to the dock what you are describing would continue to happen until that icon was removed from the dock and replaced with one from the Apps folder version.

3. skiff thread starter macrumors member

sicmacdoc:

I'm astonished out of my mind. I did exactly as you suggested and cured the problem in two seconds. I'm very grateful for your help. I can't believe all that aggravation I had top endure over such a piddling procedure.

4. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

Well between you and me, I am just glad it was that simple! Don't beat yourself up too much, as it is not the first time I have heard of folks doing that inadvertently. Now if would not have been that it could have gotten ugly as it would have most likely been a system software level problem! Whew! ;)