do i need to buy a new router/advice?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by ricecook, Jan 20, 2008.

1. ricecook macrumors regular

ricecook

ok i have a belkin 2.4GHz wireless frequency (802.11b- and 802.11g- compliant) router and my modem is a motorola..

im looking to get router thats better than the one i have and that will be compat with my ipod touch/macook..

is it my modem/router thats why its pretty slow on wifi?

do i need to clear up my modem/router of all that data thats been transfer thats why it lags? if so how do i do thats?

or i need a better router?

thaks

2. smogsy macrumors 6502a

belkin seems to this alot there not a very good router company i've personally fried 4 of theres routers whilst surfing the web.

i suggest you get the NETGEAR DG834N 270mps

i get great wifi on it even 200+foot away from the router

also why di you have both modem and router? just use your routers modem :)

i currently have 6 routers connected to this router and no lag what so ever but i am on a 24mb internet but the wifi does not have any lasg at all

hope you get it :D

3. ricecook thread starter macrumors regular

ricecook

well i need to plug my router to my modem so that i can use my ipod touc/macbook wireless..

what you mean by just use my routers modem?

4. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you tried to move you router to a different room? Also what about changing wireless channels maybe you have some interference around?

5. ricecook thread starter macrumors regular

ricecook

well when im in my room the modem/router i only like 3 feet away from me..and when i go out side im like 20 to 30 feet away thats about the far as i go..

6. smogsy macrumors 6502a

what i mean is your current modem connects you to the internet correct then the modem is plugged into the router?

most routers (good routers) have modems built in so you could plug your telephone line right into the routers inbuilt modem but, i would not know if yours has 1 unless you give us model number or link us to the router :)

if you did just use your routers modem it would be a lot faster as it would have to pass through less boxes to get to your computers.

:D

7. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow

Have you tried the channel change? Sometimes that help.

8. Reflow macrumors 68000

Reflow