Do i need to buy apple world travel kit or something?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by 88888888, Jun 16, 2008.

  1. 88888888 macrumors 6502a

    May 28, 2008
    I just got an macbook pro, and I'm gonna be taking it over to china over the summer. Do i need like a converter or adapater..? or something...? :confused:
    I don't wanna fry my new mbp.. ><
  2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Aug 13, 2006
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    Yes, you need the set of Apple plug adaptors, or anything for China that fits in there. It doesn't need a converter; the brick is already rated for that.
  3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem


    Feb 19, 2005
    Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A102 Safari/419.3)

    I don't think you need the Apple one, but you do need something.
  4. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    May 28, 2008
  5. Mr$Whale macrumors member

    May 19, 2008
    I traveled abroad and lived in the Arab Gulf region for about three and a half months...I wouldn't buy the apple adapters. Rather, what really helped was buying an electrical adapter (either buy them where you are or in China...they'll be there. Where do you think they make them?) and bringing a power strip. This really helped using my other US items that required some power and was a pretty cheap alternative. Not sure what kind of current/voltage etc is around in China, but just google that.
  6. winninganthem macrumors 6502a


    Jun 10, 2008
    I've been to mainland China a couple times; the outlets in the hotels I stayed in were the same shape as the US (and if they weren't, they still accommodated US plugs) but don't let that fool you into thinking that your devices will always work.

    It's kinda weird, one time I took a camcorder there and had no problems with charging. Didn't need any converters or anything, but then another time I found myself unable to recharge a digital camera, it didn't accept the power or something.

    So to be safe, buy a power converter. Do a little bit of research about wattage in China as opposed to wattage in the US and figure out just what you need.

    A little side note: I took a PS2 to Taiwan without any power converters and had no problems, it never fried the system or anything. Maybe their system is different from the PRC. But yeah, should look it up. :p
  7. alphaod macrumors Core


    Feb 9, 2008
    Please check your voltage requirements on your AC adapters; US is 110 Volts, China is 220 Volts; if you adapter says 100-240V or something like that, you're golden, if it says 110 V only or something like that, you do not plug it in to the outlets in China or the adapter will fry; if it says 220 V only, well you can plug it in anywhere really, but it won't get enough power in the US.

    FYI, all Apple adapters of recent are 100-240V.
  8. chiefroastbeef macrumors 6502a

    May 26, 2008
    Dallas, Texas/ Hong Kong
  9. 88888888 thread starter macrumors 6502a

    May 28, 2008
    Hmm alright thanks..

    Why can't plugs/voltages be universal!! omg. lol it would make life so much easier.

    hmm yea. taiwan is just like usa~ so nice.

Share This Page