Do I need to 'de-autorize' computer after backing up iTunes?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by MacAndy74, Aug 27, 2009.

1. MacAndy74 macrumors 65816

I'm preparing to install Snow Leopard tonight and I know I can just copy my whole iTunes folder to an external hard disk and that's my backup done - but should I de-authorize my computer after copying off my iTunes folder.. Or before?! Help. :eek:

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Your MAC address hasn't changed so it won't count against you. Still it's always a good idea to deauthorize first.

3. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok. Thanks!

So - deauthorize before clean installing Snow Leopard but deauthorize after backup.... Yes, I'm aware I'm a bit thick at the moment. lol

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The authorizations are based off of your hardware MAC address. Even if you don't deauthorize when you reauthorize on the other side it won't count against you.

5. cuestakid macrumors 68000

Are you moving to a new computer?
    Why?

6. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Every computer with a network adapter of any kind has a unique hardware MAC address identifier. (Even Bluetooth and it will probably fail over to Ethernet or 802.1x if the other type of adapter isn't there.) When you authorize it must make some sort of hash using the MAC address and check them against what they have on their end. Since it hasn't changed they don't increment the number of machines you have authorized.

Please someone stop me if I'm crazy. :rolleyes:

7. MacAndy74 thread starter macrumors 65816

Ok thanks for everyone's help!

I'm not going to a new Laptop - same one. So I won't de-authorize. Thanks again. :D

8. XedLos macrumors member

Im goona do a clean install of snow leopard and i already have my itunes library baked up. I guess ill deauthorize my account. SO once i install snow leopard how do i put my music back into itunes?

edit: I also have an iphone do i just back up the apps folder? or can i resync my aps from my phone to my computer?