Do I need to de-register software prior to logic board replacement?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tenderidol, Aug 3, 2012.

1. tenderidol macrumors regular

tenderidol

As the title says, the logic board on my mid-2009 MBP will be replaced due to a loose headphone jack. I'm going to take out my SSD and put an HD with naked Snow Leopard on it before taking it to the Apple Store.

Do I need to de-register certain software (e.g., Adobe Photoshop, MS Office, iTunes, etc.) titles before this, since the hardware configuration will change?

Thanks!

2. PeopleTheseDays macrumors regular

You should definitely deregister itunes or else you have to deregister everything later in order to get rid of just that one "computer", I made that mistake already when I was reinstalling my OS.

I don't believe you can transfer adobe and windows licenses, but maybe someone else will chime in.

3. tenderidol thread starter macrumors regular

tenderidol

Thanks for the reply. iTunes is in my list. How about the app store? Will that also recognize the MBP with a new logic board as a "different" (or new) computer?

4. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Adobe lets you move the license to a new computer. It's best to deactivate it before sending the laptop in... but I'm sure they'd clear the activations for you if you explain that there was a hardware failure.

With Windows, retail licenses are transferable. OEM licenses are tied to the motherboard that they were initially installed on, *BUT*, they allow you to transfer it in the event of a hardware failure as long as the motherboard is replaced with an equivalent model

5. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

With the App Store, you simply need to login on the new computer. All your purchases are shared across all your machines.

6. tenderidol thread starter macrumors regular

tenderidol

Thanks.

I'm assuming, once I put back the SSD -after getting the new logic board- I don't have to do any system changes, driver updates, etc., since it will be replaced with a same model, right?

Apologies for the repeated questions... First motherboard replacement here :)

7. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

OS X, unlike Windows, includes all the necessary drivers for the hardware it can run on. Just install and go.

8. PeopleTheseDays macrumors regular

With OS X being tailored for a specific set, you don't have to worry about it, Windows needs to tailor to many many different hardware which is why the OEM's provide the drivers.

9. tenderidol, Aug 11, 2012
    Last edited: Aug 12, 2012

tenderidol thread starter macrumors regular

tenderidol

Just updating my thread after receiving back the MBP with a new logic board to help people in a similar situation.

1. Adobe products - Within the particular software (e.g., Acrobat, Photoshop, etc.) go to "Help>Deactivate". You'll be asked to enter a serial number again.
    2. MS Office - go to "Library>Preferences" and Delete "com.microsoft.office.licensing.plist". You'll be asked to enter a serial number again.
    3. Time Machine asks for "do you want to inherit your old backups?" and doesn't start from scratch; just another incremental backup.
    4. iTunes, AppStore and iCloud ask for username/password and activation
    5. Interestingly, all Trackpad settings were lost and reverted back to defaults.

10. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

The iTunes limit is going to catch up with me one day. :)