Do i need to defrag my 2011 Macbook Air ssd?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by uicandrew, Sep 4, 2011.

1. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

i've installed and uninstalled a 30gb bootcamp partition 3-4 times on my stock 128gb ssd on my macbook air.

normally, on my old macbook or imac (with a regular hard drive), i would defrag my hard drive if i used it to move or work with very large files.

but with TRIM, i don't know if it is necessary or not

2. JronMasteR macrumors 6502

JronMasteR

SSD's don't need defragmentation. Actually, it could decrease the life time of your SSD.

3. ritmomundo macrumors 68000

ritmomundo

I think you'd have to defrag your SSD constantly for years before causing any noticeable decrease in lifespan.

4. coopiklaani macrumors member

coopiklaani

5. Azathoth macrumors 6502a

The magnetic head of a traditional HDD requires an average of 8ms to move to a random part of the disk (only down from 30ms in the late 90s) - this is one of the major bottlenecks in real-life data throughput.

Defragmenting ensures that files are on continuous sectors, minimising the head movement to once per file (ideally).

SSDs do not have a physical read/write head, therefore de-fragmenting would not provide a noticeable increase in speed AFAIK.

TRIM support addresses a different issue, but could roughly be considered the SSD analog to HDD defragmenting.

6. mopatops macrumors regular

mopatops

As far as I'm aware, files on SSDs are spread across the chips on purpose in order to increase read/write speed.

7. duffyanneal macrumors 6502a

duffyanneal

The data is spread out as a form of wear leveling. That way the individual memory cells get written to evenly. Effectively, increasing the life of the individual cells and the drive.